SRS Help with Job interview scared of a question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Kokomo, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Kokomo

Kokomo OT Supporter

I understand the basis of the law - Took it at a college.
    The only question i am worried about is if they ask " tell me about a time in which you had to deal with conflict"

I volunteer with Children who always disagree/conflict. Should I use that as example when i dealt with conflict ?

Before you judge me if i get this job it's going to be experience while I go to university. Ultimately i would like to be a cop

This is reposted from Ontopic

2. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Absolutely. That's a fine example.

3. Kokomo

Kokomo OT Supporter

I taught the children to share. I had to take 2 kids outside. I did not want them to escape my sight at anytime. One of them wanted to play in the sand box while the other the slide. They are a distance away from each other. They got mad at each other. I explained that they should share their time. Half in the sand box and half on the slide. They agreed.

:dunno:

I'm still new to getting job as i have only had 2 others

4. Kokomo

Kokomo OT Supporter

Also for the group question.

I had to work in a group at school for a project. We eventually got a 93

But I don't really know of any situations where
    "tell me about a time where you had to follow something new/opposing view"

5. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

If you are interested in being a police officer, I'd look for a job working at a department in dispatch, or as a corrections officer. If your school has a police department, see if they have any openings at all.

Mall security isn't going to help you at all applying for an LE job. Not trying to be a dick, but I have several family members who are cops, and if you put mall security officer on your application when you apply you will probably get laughed at.

6. Kokomo

Kokomo OT Supporter

:dunno:

i just need a job and thought that would be a good stepping stone. Plus i am probably joining the army reserves. So Military + some security Experience Ftw?

7. Sure why not?

Sure why not? New Member

The thing to remember about job interviews is they want to see you think on your feet and be positive. They really don't care about the story you tell, but are more interested in the story behind the story.

I would say something like, (and insert real events here) two kids were fighting over who got to do what, but you interjected and came up with a compromise and everyone was happy!

I'm finishing a college course about selling yourself, which is mostly just learning how to interview well.

8. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Military will help a lot, but I'd still rethink the whole security thing. See if you can be an MP in the reserves, that will look very good on a resume for a law enforcement job.

Also, if you are majoring in criminal justice, ask about any internships or co-ops. They might be able to hook you up with one at a prison, or with a local department, which will also look good on the resume.

9. eXyle

eXyle ׂ

i hate generic interview questions like that.

keep in mind, you can draw from your personal life too in order to answer some questions. not everything needs to be drawn from a work experience.

if you can, try to break away from the typical interview format and try to have more of a conversation. it'll help you relax and will reflect favorably upon you.

10. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

:rofl: omg... for a second there, i thought you were my brother.

my brother is in the army reserves [albeit active now, he volunteered :wtc:], is a police officer, and has years of security experience.

:bigthumb: sounds like you're on your way!

11. Kokomo

Kokomo OT Supporter

They reschedule the interview