Help with I/O Subsystems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tills, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

I currently have a p3 600 w/256MB WIN XP Pro and a WD 100MB drive. At times my PC is slowwwwww. I know it is my I/O subsytem.

I am planning on upgradeing the PC to either p3 1.26 or a p4. I may switch to Windows 2000 workstation too.

I want to go with a RAID 5 solution on my PC. It will serve my performace need as well as a backup need that I am seriously lacking. I also want to have ~250GB of storage. I am currently looking at SCSI and Fibre Channel. I don't think I want IDE.

Fibre Channel drives are cheap but the equipment is expensive. I see adapters that will allow you to juri-rig and avoid some cost but I don't know if I want to go that route yet

SCSI drives are more expensive but are always falling. Equipment is fairly priced.

Does anyone have this kind of setup at home? All thoughts are welcome.

2. Dommi

Dommi Guest

if you have a 100MB drive then you are going to have trouble running win 2k pro...

here is a tip. take out hte buzz words. in plain english what are you planning on doing, what do you want to see from it?
    oh and a spec list on your computer is good too
    as many details on the parts you have as possibly
    we arent psychic

3. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

:rofl: I have a 100GB drive. My Bad!

I don't know what "Buzz" words you are refering too but I will attempt to be more descriptive.

I am looking for an external RAID solution for my PC. I am looking to have about 250GB of storage space. I don't want to go IDE. This leaves me with 2 choices. SCSI and Fibre Channel.

I am asking if anyone has had experience with Fibre Channel and can give me the Pro's and Con's associated with it.

I have only used it at work and on an AIX platform with multiple processors and high end RAID cards. Works great there, but I don't have $100,000+ to put out for an RS/6000 :)

I, nor anyone I have asked, has not used it on the home-front to guage how it works there.

PC Specs. I am running an Intel P3 600EB w/133 FSB on an Intel Board with the 810e Chipset, 256 MB of PC133 Ram, WD 100GB w/8MB of cache. All 32-bit PCI slots running at 33MHz. OS is Winxp pro.

4. Dommi

Dommi Guest

fibre channel would not be worth it on that system

do you want software raid or hardware raid. adaptec makes excellent hardware raid and plain jane scsi controllers.
    I use the 29160 narrow. which is a 32 bit pci card with ultra 160 adaptec bios.

there are similar raid enabled cards...

5. Kabuko

Kabuko Guest

Also, 256MB of ram in XP is not very much. It's about the minimum I'd recommend for XP (not that it can't be run at lower amounts, but I wouldn't). You might try 512.

6. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

Thanks Dommi.

I am looking into a Compaq setup on the SCSI side. On what type of a system do you think it would be worth?

7. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

Kabuko,

Before it was my XP box it was my 98 box. I know that the RAM is at minimum specs and more certianly will help. I am still waiting to see if I can get a good deal on a P4 or upgrade the P3. If I upgrade the P3 Ram certainly will be on that invoice! :)

Thanks!

8. Dommi

Dommi Guest