Help with hooking up new receiver to speakers throughout the house

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by maccol, May 15, 2009.

1. maccol

maccol New Member

I bought a new Pioneer Elite receiver, and I have a house that has the upgraded built-in surround sound speakers throughout the house. I'm having problems knowing which port to plug what speaker into. I have a 7.1 system, and the speaker I have are 5 in the tv room +subwoofer, 2 in the hallway, and 2 in the master bedroom.
    I know where the front speakers plug in, but do I plug in the rear 2 speakers in the port that says "Surround" which I believe is for the 2 side speaker, or do I plug them into the "Surround Rear" speakers?
    I plugged them in the surround rear but when just playing music I'm not getting music out of them.
    Is there a setting on my reciever to make each speaker play evenly?

Or can someone point me to a good online forum or chat room that can help me answer these questions?

2. zatotheck

zatotheck New Member

In this case "surround" would refer to the side speakers and "surround rear" would refer to the rear speakers.
    There should be a setting on your receiver that will disperse sound to all 7 outputs. Go through the manual or just play with the buttons.
    (probably a "surround mode" button)

3. avctechsupp

avctechsupp New Member

Do you have more than one set (7.1 = 8 separate output connectors, each with a Black and a Red [unbalanced]) of outputs?
    i.e. Does your receiver have a set of both "Speaker A" and "Speaker B"?

"Surround Rear" is for the back 2 speakers. You need another amp for the speakers in your hallway & master bedroom...OR, you need additional outputs (like "Speaker B"). That make sense..?

4. cacique78

cacique78 Member

Surround is for your rear speakers in a 5.1 setup.

Surround back is what you are going to assign to your second zone (hallway and master bedroom)

You have to go into the menus and assign it as second zone

These will be able to play an independent second zone (ie watch tv in the main room and listen to radio or ipod in the hallway or master bedroom)

If you don't have volume control in these other places then I recommend you use a speaker selector with volume control for these two other areas