Help with hdd formats and such.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by untoastytoast, Jul 12, 2005.

1. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

Ok, heres my story: I have an external usb hdd that is formatted for windows. My powerbook used to recognize it and i was able to browse through it and stuff. That was just a few days ago. Now it won't let me browse through it, but when i open the disk utility it recognizes it. I really would rather not format it for mac because of other complications, so is there any other way to make it so i can read it/write to it from my mac?

2. Use Disk Utility on the PowerBook to reformat it for DOS.

3. untoastytoast

It already is formatted for "MS-DOS" :hs:

4. verbal

verbal Active Member

This makes me curious. I just ordered a firewire drive for use between my Powerbook and PC. What format does the drive have to be so they're both recognized?

If it's FAT32, I'll have to partition it, which I really don't want to do.

5. Apothis

Apothis New Member

The default is always FAT32 from what I can tell. This applies to pretty much any removable/usb storage (and I assume firewire would be the same in this respect). They make it that way to ensure maximum compatibility. No partitioning should be needed unless you want more than 1 partition on it.

Btw, linux will make up any kind of partition you could want, even if windows/mac won't let you.

6. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

but it won't necessarily be able to read or write to it. Example: HFS+ on PPC-compiled Linux (I would assume it's the same with x86).

7. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Let's put it this way:
    If he needs to make, say, a 120GB FAT32 partition (like I did with mine), and neither windows or mac will do it (windows won't make one that big, and only options on my ibook were hfs or "unix"), Linus shall set him free.

8. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

fair enough, I'm just saying it's not the end-all be-all... of course I'm somewhat bitter because I just spent a goddamn week trying to install debian 3.1 on a machine that boot failed every rescue floppy I put it through. Finally was able to burn a CD. :mad: :rl:

9. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

also fdisk / pdisk / etc. can be harrowing for someone unfamiliar with a CLI. (though as I understand it, the more noob-friendly editions of Linux have GUI utilities for such things)

10. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Anything with KDE/QTparted will work wonders for partitioning (including resizing). I'd just use Knoppix or another live cd if partitioning is all ya plan to do.

11. verbal

verbal Active Member

I bought a drive enclosure and a 200gb drive. So if it's FAT32 it's going to have to be partitioned somehow.

Damn, I haven't used FAT32 in so long I forgot the partition size limitations. :hsugh:

12. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Don't make too much of "size limitations". Just because windows won't make it larger than a certain size doesn't mean it can't be done. This is exactly what my previous posts have been talking about. The drive is likely already preformated anyway (one big fat partition).

13. verbal

verbal Active Member

It's an OEM drive that I have to install in the enclosure. It's probably not formatted.

14. untoastytoast

So can anyone answer my original question?

15. Apothis

Apothis New Member

If it's still on the fat format, it should work, especially since it was before. Obviously something recently changed. So ..what changed? FAT32 doesn't have much security to speak of, but I suppose basic write/read permissions could have been changed. This seems unlikely, but might be worth checking. Are you admin on the machine or someone else? Could your read permissions have been taken away? I'm not eve sure this would be a factor for a local, especially removable, disk. I don't know what you have on there or what you may have done.

But I do know a way you can fix it without changing it to mac format. This is what has been being discussed in above posts.

16. untoastytoast

I am the admin of the computer, i'll look into the permissions stuff though, thanks. I repaired the permissions a few days ago, maybe that could be the problem.