Help with gaining weight

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by mikeeb13, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeeb13

mikeeb13 New Member

I've been struggling with a lot of shit my body has been throwing at me over the past few years... I can't do things I want/need, because my wrists, elbows, feet, back, etc. are all messed up. After about 3 years, 8 doctors, and 2 physical therapists... someone finally can diagnose me. I've got a genetic disorder called MASS Phenotype, which basically is just an array of different problems stemming from a lack of connective tissue.

I'm a skinny guy, I always have been. Right now I'm 21 years old, 6'3", and I'm right around 160 pounds. I was informed that it might be helpful to try and gain some weight, and try to work up some muscle around my joints to reduce the constant pain. I'd love to give this a try, but I'm one of those guys that can eat anything and not gain a pound. I've been looking on the internet today for supplements, powders, etc. Another stepping stone I've gotta get over is that I'm a pretty picky eater, which is terrible considering my diet plays a big role in how well this turns out.

Any suggestions or insight?

2. mikeeb13

mikeeb13 New Member

ps. I'm reading the stuff in the sticky above as well

3. React

React Still Strong

eat
    read stickies
    eat
    lift hard
    buy some whey protein and/or mass gainer
    and eat because i guarantee you aren't eating near enough

4. giz

giz Active Member

:bigthumb:

5. Mass

Mass Active Member

me too!

6. mikeeb13

mikeeb13 New Member

:h5:

any "tips"? How do you deal with this shit, it's making my life miserable :(

7. Fireman68w

Fireman68w Banned

Just eat. Only way to gain weight. Eat everything you see. Try to keep it clean but I wouldn't hold myself back if I were you. All you have to do is eat more. Alot more.

8. TZ

TZ Banned

Lift heavy...if you don't get hungrier there's something wrong with you

9. QsWire

QsWire New Member

qualified nutritionist?

10. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

eat alot. i had a bomb meal lastn ight

cooked 3 strips of bacon. put 4 slices of turkey breats on 2 whole wheat bread.

put some mayo and smushed it all together.

prabably about 600 calories/30carbs/60protien.

11. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Holy fuck, wiki says it's similar to marfan syndrome. I had a kid this summer who had this. Do you get tired REALLY REALLY fast ? This kid could barely run 30 feet without being EXHAUSTED and being all red.

Anyway, if it's a syndrome, that probably means that you'll have a lot more work to do because you're probably used to do some algic behaviors (behaviors that show that you ache such as using a cane, I'm not saying it's your case but it's an example) and those were probably reinforced by the people around you.

So no more "I'm a skinny guy, always have been" excuse, no "it's genetic" excuse. To get where you've never been, do stuff you've never done. Pound the food, stick to higher reps because lower reps puts more strain on the joints and there's certainly someone something you could take to help build connective tissues which can be prescribed by your doctor.

12. aleminio

aleminio New Member

I also need to gain some weight (i have no health problems but i'm just very skinny)
    the problem is i wake up at 5am for work and coming back home at 6pm..
    I eat enough but not enough to gain weight and i don't have time to start eating like crazy. therefore i'm kinda stuck...

13. mikeeb13

mikeeb13 New Member

It's related to marfan's, but not the same thing... IMO they have it alot worse, but that's not saying I have I have a "normal" lifestyle anymore either. Marfan's patients have a greater chance at more serious heart problems, and a specific "look" that sets most of them apart.

I'm certainly not in the best shape of my life, but if I needed to run I'm sure I could do so. I don't run much at all anymore, it's painful to walk most of the time let alone run... if I need to do cardio I'll ride my bike, because it's not as high impact.

14. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

You make time for whats important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.