WEB Help with FTP Client

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by skee lo, Aug 18, 2008.

1. skee lo

skee lo Guest

I'm just getting started with web development and am having some problems figuring out my FTP client. I'm using FileZilla Client.

Basically, I can't get the program to connect to the host. In fact, I'm not ever certain what the host is. Is the host the company that I registered the domain with (godaddy.com), or is it the domain itself? What should I enter in the "host" box?

I tried entering godaddy.com as the host and it connects, but keeps timing out:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
    Error: Connection timed out
    Error: Could not connect to server

I tried the network configuration wizard but that didn't work either. What should I do?

2. Oh Its Joe

Oh Its Joe OT Supporter

Godaddy does offer hosting but all you did was buy a domain. You will need hosting. I would go else where for hosting. I tend to stay away from big names like 1and1 and godaddy because you only appear to be a customer number where as the smaller businesses it is much more initimate.

Once you find a hosting company that offers FTP (most do) you will just input the server (usually the domain name) and the username and password for the ftp.

3. DnA02

DnA02 Hey, how YOU doin?! OT Supporter

you need to get the IP of your website. Usually your hosting company will include your website IP in their welcome email that is sent to you when you first create an account with them.

After that you need the username and password of the FTP account, usually in the email as well.

oh yeah, buying a domain is not the same as buying hosting.

you need to buy a domain AND have hosting in order to get the FTP. Just buying a domain will not allow you to have FTP.

I dont know how much knowledge you have about the subject so just typing out whatever I think will help you.

4. skee lo

skee lo Guest

I actually did buy hosting from godaddy, for better or worse. So I guess I answered my own question, just didn't make the connection earlier...

5. skee lo

skee lo Guest

Thanks for the response. What do I do with the IP address? I can't find a box for it in the FTP program.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2008
  6. DnA02

a lot of people say godaddy hosting is crap so if you just bought it, they should let you do a refund if you choose to (i have refunded a couple of services with no problem, just called up their support number)

if your website isnt application intensive, a shared hosting will probably be good for you to start out.

i have hosting with hostgator.com for couple months now...no problems yet :noes:

7. DnA02

you can probably insert the IP into the address bar..same location as where you would put the domain name.

I personally use SmartFTP

8. Style

Style Boioioioioioioioing

for host, make sure to precede it with ftp, as in ftp.yourdomain.com

9. Style

Style Boioioioioioioioing

:rofl:

10. skee lo

skee lo Guest

so if my domain name is brgpolls.com, I enter my host as ftp.brgpolls.com?

i thought if my hosting company is godaddy then I would enter godaddy as my host?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2008
  11. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

No you wouldn't enter godaddy as your host.

If your domain is brgpolls.com, and you're on godaddy hosting *MOST LIKELY* you are on a shared webserver (shared host). You should be able to ftp to either ftp.brgpolls.com or brgpolls.com. I see that both of these resolve to the same IP address, 68.178.254.10, and if I run a FTP check against that IP address it returns OK.

So if filezilla, you can enter 1 of 3 things into the 'HOST' field.

ftp.brgpolls.com
    brgpolls.com

Enter the username and password they provided or you selected, enter 21 in the PORT field, and click CONNECT.

Depending on how godaddy has the host configured, you'll see either a brgpolls.com folder, a www folder, or or something that drops a hint that tells you where to put the website files (it's RARELY at the directory level when you FTP in, but it may be).

For example, before I ran my own server, I would ftp to the website.

mywebsite.com

Once I'm connected in the FTP client, I saw a LOGS, and a mywebsite.com folder. I would put all my html files and other files in the mywebsite.com directory, and then the would be seen when you browse to the website via a browser.

On my server I run now, I don't have that setup. I just FTP the files to the server and move them to my root web directory, which is called 'WWW'.

Anyway, if you need more help feel free to yell at me.

12. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

Oh.. and BOO for slow FTP speeds.

[[email protected]]$ check_ftp oneofmysites.com
    FTP ok - 0 second response time
    [[email protected]]$