help with first bike blues

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by bwlude, Feb 25, 2002.

1. bwlude

bwlude Ghost of OT

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a used bike for my first bike and I'm curious as to how I am going to get the bike home if I don't know how to ride in the first place. I found a bike through cycletrader, but its about 40 min away from my house. I don't have any friends that ride bikes and I am planning to practice around my house with the bike I'm going to buy. How did you guys get your first ever bikes home?

cliff notes: how do I get my first bike to my house if I don't even know how to ride yet or have anything to practice with?

2. SBandit4

SBandit4 If shit hits the fan, just make sure you have a go

Ask the seller to ride it to your house, and you give him or her a ride home?

3. bwlude

bwlude Ghost of OT

hmm...would a dealer be willing to deliver a used bike 40 miles away ? I don't have trailer but I do have a friend with a truck. What would I need to strap a bike onto a truck? :dunno:

4. SBandit4

SBandit4 If shit hits the fan, just make sure you have a go

Hmm the dealer probably won't deliver it.
    You'll need some tie downs to secure the bike to the truck. Don't forget a ramp to get the bike on to the truck.

5. mike1

mike1 Dance Bish

What kinda of bike? YOu can by motorcycle straps at pep boys they go fit on your bars and you just crank it down. Sometimes the dealer will let you use theres. Just bring a friend with you and pick it up and put it into the truck. Me and my friend did that all summer with are bkes its not that bad.

Id rather lift it in there than push it up a ramp:squint:

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

just make sure its secure you odnt want your nex toy falling off the back of a truck

7. CantDrv55

CantDrv55 Guest

see straps on handlebars
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just stop by a bike shop..they should have 'em.

8. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

post a pic of your bike grummpy or else

9. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

put it back togther

i did and i posted pics with mine tore apart

waht do you ahve to do to it

10. CantDrv55

CantDrv55 Guest

The tailgate is right up on the wheel so the bike cant roll at all. Strap keeps the bike up...I dunno about trusting it..but I am pretty confident in it. I go slow in any case:bigthumb:

11. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

I got mine delivered on the dealer's pick-up truck. Maybe the guy you're buying it from has a truck or get someone you know with a truck to come with you. Good luck

12. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

take a MSF course and learn some basic skills. If you dont know how to ride, you will definately benefit.

13. Platnum Toof

Platnum Toof Guest

Do you know anyone with a Motorcycle endorsement that would ride it home for you?

Perhaps going to the DMV and getting a learners permit would be feasible for the time being. You can ride during the day (not on the freeway though I dont think.) this will allow you time to get into the MSF class.

14. catfishez

catfishez Guest

I honestly paid the cash, sat on the bike and mentaly went through the drill then put on the helmet and started out slowly, first to second then try the brakes. -"say these back brakes don't really do anything.." turn alittle, okey doke... got home no problem. funny how you forget traffic laws when learning to ride.. a four way stop will make you look like an idiot because your just concentrating on a smooth launch.. good luck what ever you do.

15. mike1

mike1 Dance Bish

Please look at the date on something before posting in it.
    Thanks,
    Mike

16. shiznits

shiznits What