help with firewall selection and fighting program that uses my computer to send spam

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bill97Z, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Bill97Z

Bill97Z Guest

My cable modem (ISP) provider has shut me down for 2 days now. They claim that a program has been loaded onto my computer remotely which gives people remote access to it and has been sending spam emails out on my IP address. THey get complaints and have shut my service off. He claims there is no fix for this and I have to do a clean install and reformat the drive. That is almost out of the question...I have too many valuable applications that would get wiped out and don't have reinstall disks. I monitored my CPU usage all day yesterday before they shut me down the second time and when it's idle the CPU is not active.....how can this be happening with no CPU usage? The guy at opt online security dept didnt want to hear anything and said he would continue to shut down my service if I do not do a reformat....uuughhh.

I was wondering if installing a firewall would help. I am going to hit comp USA and pick up some firewall software.....what do u recommend? I want something that is effective, simple, and can be bypassed for when I play online games......

thanks!

2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Grab Norton or McAfee firewall.

Also grab a virus scanner (Norton 2004 is available), and download AdAware (to check for spyware).

Running all three should get you closer to solving your problem.

Remember, just because someone is bouncing off your IP address doesn't mean that your CPU is going to show insane usage.

3. Bill97Z

Bill97Z Guest

Thx for the response. I was going to get norton firewall untill somone recommended Zone Alarm pro to me. It its a firewall and indicates all incoming and outcoming data streams. Have you heard of it?

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Zone alarm pro is one the more popular software firewalls for home pc's. It's recommeded.

But you are just providing a workaround for the issue. What you need to do as stated before, virus scan your pc and get adaware or spybot to rid your box of all the unwanted crap. Check all the processes running on your box, your startup folder, your run registry.

Fix the problem. Don't hide it.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

you can also try running:

netstat -an

from the command line. It will tell you all of the open ports from and to your computer. If you see a lot of port 25's, you can bet your computer is causing the problem. You can fix this problem, but I wouldn't - I'd reinstall despite not having copies of your apps.

6. Bill97Z

Bill97Z Guest

Thx i will try running that command. Man this stinks! I have a lot of work to do tonight!

7. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

8. DatacomGuy

That's what I'd do as well.

9. DatacomGuy

And yes, Zone Alarm is fine.. but they all pretty much do the same thing.. just different GUIs.

10. jrmy

jrmy Guest

If you have the skill level from which to do so i would try setting up my on linux box and use that as a router (Linux=very strong firewall system)
    you can d/l free software from internet that automatically sets the chosen pc(only takes a piece of shit lying around) up for being used as a router/firewall....just a suggestion...has wored VERY VERY well for me!