WEB Help with Family web site.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by negative zero, May 27, 2008.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

This might be difficult to answer but I appreciate any input.

I am trying to putting up a site that will mainly host pics/videos of my kids. I am working on a header (not sure of the exact terminology) that will have both kids pictures in it with some kind of background. I have no idea what background. Suggestions?

I photoshopped the two pictures and cut out their background but when I save it as .gif (the only way I know to get rid of the white background) the image sucks. I guess it makes it 256 colors :dunno: So this is more of a photoshop question but how can I make the backgorund tranparent?

Any otehr ideas or sample pics of just a main heading on the top of the main page?? Any do's/don'ts?

thanks for any help. :wavey:

2. ROFLCORE

ROFLCORE Guest

jpg doesn't support transparency, gifs do. The problem is that gifs are better for solid colors and not textures or gradients. png has transparency but depending on the file it may be quite large and certain versions of internet explorer won't support the transparency of pngs and you have to create a work around in your code to have it display properly.

3. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

4. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Thanks for the info. I tried .png and it took one photo from 11.xMB to 3.xMB. I still have to shrink it down quite a bit so that may work. thanks.

Any suggestions on background?

5. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

You're better off building a solid header as a JPG unless you REALLY need it seperate.. as a GIF will never look as good as a JPG if it's photos of your kids.

As for the background image itself, it depends on the photos..

6. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Well, I just got done with a test. i found a background (don't like it at all) and I put both pictures on it. I set the opacity down a bit and it really looks pretty good. The two picks were .png as suggested above.

I imported the new picture into a template I found and it looks decent.

As far as the photos, they are just head shots of my kids. One boy, one girl, nothing fancy. I am just not very creative so I have no ide of what to use. I have been googling alot to try and find samples of similar sites but not having much luck. :hs:

7. Insert Tokens

As stated though, if you use PNG lots of IE users won't see the banner problem without you doing annoying CSS hacks to get the PNG transparency working.

If you want the focus to be their faces, but it over something generic like a field of flowers, a waterscape, mountains, a city background, I dunno.. something relevant to your family but still subtle enough not to take the focus off the kids..

8. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

just don't use transparency.. photoshop in a background and use a jpeg

9. negative zero

negative zero New Member

:uh: I missed the part in ROFLCORE's post about some IE's not displaying correctly. Would it just show the white background?

I realize this is a dumb question but, how? I've tried to search for a tutorial but I can't seem to find a good one.

Another question, in photoshop, isn't there a way to take pa picture and find out what a specific color is? The RGB color code code, etc?

10. Insert Tokens

To put the faces in front of a background, just use layers. There's lots of tutorials if you google it :)

To find a specific colour, grab your Eyedropper (shortcut "I") then click on the colour you want to know, then on the bottom of your toolbar you'll see the new colour on the colour chooser, click it, and it will popup the window with the colour details.

11. negative zero

negative zero New Member

thanks. I have seen how to add a picture as a backgorund but I need to magic erase a part (face) out of a picture and then add a background. I guess I need to know how to save as .jpg and not .png :dunno:

Have you seen a tutorial that does this?

12. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

file, save for web

change format to jpeg and use around 80% quality compression