help with download speeds

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by c2rsx, Jan 31, 2009.

1. c2rsx

c2rsx Member

I was recently upgraded to a 16/2Mb line from comcast from my old 6/2Mb line. with my old connection, I had a sustained download speed of about 1000KB/s. I am connected directly to the modem, and when running a speedtest I see that i have a speed of about 16000kbs ~ or so. but when downloading a file I still see speeds of the same 1000kb/s. Wouldnt I expect a much higher download speed with my new 16/2Mb line?:hsughno:

2. benk016

benk016 O&A Crew

It just depends on what your downloading, If the source of the file only has bandwidth for 1000KB then that's all your going to get no matter how fast your connection is.

3. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

With 1000 KB/s you were already downloading over your rated speed... You might have been uncapped and your neighbors are a bunch of faggots addicted to P2P shit. Try another server... try speedtest.net

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

you're comcast now? they suck. they fake out the speedtests by just allowing speed bursts for the initial few MB and then dropping it to what you're seeing now ~8000kbs. Some tactic they try to use to show that they are as fast as other providers with these popular speed tests.