Help with DNS

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hsmith, May 24, 2006.

1. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Ok, I know this can be done, but I am unsure of how to do it. I have my web app setup to handle it when it finally is implemented...

For explaination purposes, we will suppose you are my client, your website is

www.ot.com

you are going to subscribe to my website

www.itrainharder.com

Now, you want to point your subdomain

trainer.ot.com to point to me, www.itrainharder.com (this is for cobranding purposes only, so it looks like your domain but running off my box)

Now my question to anyone that knows anything about DNS, what all do i need to do to acomplish this? I am going to assume my client knows little to nothing about being able to modify their DNS records, worst comes to worst, i will do it. I also will assume they will be going through someone like godaddy.com.

Am I going to need my own DNS server (or use one) to get this going? My main concern is I will be going from a shared host, to a dedicated one in the near future, then hopefully colocation. So I can't have them set a specific IP to my servers, because that won't work.

Hopefully someone knows something about how to accomplish this :o

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

all you need is the subdomain "trainer" be hosted as an "A" or "CNAME" record with the nameserver hosting the domain "ot.com".

If it's an "A" record, it results in ONE DNS query, and it would have to point to your IP hosting www.itrainharder.com. If you change the IP for this site, you will need to update all pointing "A" records.

If it's a CNAME, then this results in TWO DNS queries (can be slower and will be a larger strain on the nameservers) but it would simply point to the string "www.itrainharder.com". Then if you update the IP of www.itrainharder.com, no change to the subdomain DNS records is required.

If you use name-based hosting, the host-header for ALL subdomains must be set. This can be viewed as added security to prevent unauthorized subdomains.

3. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

easier than i thought, thanks :cool: