help with coolant issue

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by conduit, Nov 11, 2006.

1. conduit

conduit sup

Hello everybody, i have a problem with my 2002 grand prix SE (3.1L)

I seem to be running out of cooland very often. I`d fill my tank, than in about a week or two, it will be empty again. There is no sign of a leak (no pudle underneath the car, nothing in the engine compartment). Also i have no heating when the coolant is low, and my fans dont seem to be turning on at all.
    I am wondering what could be wrong with it? Could it be the thermostat? And where does the coolant go?

Thanks for the help :sadwavey:

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Check your oil. Is it cloudy? If it is, your coolant is leaking into the oil.

Even if it's not leaking into the oil, it could still be getting sucked into the cylinders and burned, if you've got a blown head gasket.

Go get a UV light (only fluorescent lamps or LEDS can really make UV light, those purple light bulbs are a joke) and shine it around your engine compartment. That might give you some insight as to where the coolant is going.

3. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

oil and water don't mix. if there was water in the oil it would be at the bottom of the sump due to the whole oil is less dense than water thing.

if your car is making white exhaust all the time(may be normal at this time of year depending on your local temps) then you could have coolant making it's way into the combustion chamber.

I know somebody else who is having a similar problem and every person he's talked to is fucking stumped.

4. deusexaethera

Incorrect. The bottom of the oil pan is where the oil pump draws from. If there's coolant in the oil, it will be smeared all over the inside of the engine in the form of cream-colored goop.

5. micks

micks the snausage wallet OT Supporter

My sister has a 2002 Grand Prix too.. Same problem, I'll have to ask her what she did to fix it. All I know is that these grand prixes have a lot of problems.. :(

6. conduit

conduit sup

Thanks everyone for their answer

I checked for cooland in my oil, and its not being mixed. I do have some white smoke from exhaust, but its due to the cold weather and goes away within a few minutes of driving.

micks waiting to see what your sister did to fix this problem, asked around the grand prix forums and all i got so far was to check my water pump.

7. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

it still wouldn't mix and the car probably wouldn't be running when he checks the oil anyway.

8. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

Actualy the 3.1 V6 has a notorious problem leaking coolant from the intake manifold gasket on certain models. It's very hard to see where it leaks from, and it's also a pain in the ass to fix (time consuming, not hard), but once it's fixed your good to go. Make sure you flush all the dexcool out, and refill with regular glycol/water. The engine is otherwise a reliable model.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  9. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

well worth a QFT. I forgot about that small issue.

10. deusexaethera

Yes it does mix. Coolant isn't just water, it's also propylene glycol, which is water-soluble but has a similar chemical structure to fat. The PPG gives the coolant just enough ability to mix with the oil that it turns into a nasty, sticky mess.

11. deusexaethera

Probably a good candidate for copper gaskets.