Help with choosing amp and sub

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LaJoo, Jul 27, 2004.

1. LaJoo

LaJoo Guest

I have a 2004 LS430 and I don't think I can do anything to it but subs and amp. I'm not looking for something all to crazy. Any ideas?

2. NiNe7-Gxe

NiNe7-Gxe New Member

just one sub?

3. denim

denim New Member

budget and space alloted for the sub?

4. LaJoo

LaJoo Guest

theres a good amount of space in the trunk and my budget doesn't really matter. I don't want to get way expensive tho. just something simple with good quality sound and something that'll thump nice and hard and not sound shitty.

5. NiNe7-Gxe

NiNe7-Gxe New Member

i have a idmax and it doesnt sound shitty, my friend has 2 jl w6 and they hit hard but he had to take out his spare tire.

6. LaJoo

LaJoo Guest

i just want like 2-3 10's and a amp. how do you think 12's will sound?

7. NiNe7-Gxe

NiNe7-Gxe New Member

loud, well... how loud do you want it cuz 2 12s already make his car rattle like crazy you can hear him down the block

8. 04

04 Guest

I would probably reccomend a 15" Brahma if money isnt an issue.

9. LaJoo

LaJoo Guest

just one 15? thats what'll sound the best and loud?

10. LaJoo

LaJoo Guest

whats the difference from getting something like 3 10's from getting 2 12's or 1 15?

11. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

this is too vague of a question. u can get a single sub that can outdue a setup of 2 or 3 woofers. it all depends on the woofer and what u want to accomplish with the setup. when dealing with the same sub the smaller size like an 8" or 10" will hit the higher notes better while the bigger sub like a 12" or 15" willl hit lower.
    id suggest just doing a single sub setup. something like an IdMAX or SI Magnum.

12. 04

04 Guest

Any of those options would probably sound great, but a single 15" woofer usually has around the same cone area as two 10" woofers, so if everything else is equal it would probably be as loud, but cost less.

13. 04

04 Guest

That is completely incorrect. The woofer diameter does not affect the frequency response at the frequencies played by a subwoofer. You have to go much higher in frequency before the diameter becomes an issue.

14. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

what? a 15" will hit lower than a 10" or 8" (using the same sub of course). how is this completely incorrect...in my years of bein into audio ive never seen someone disagree with this.

15. denim

denim New Member

maybe a dual 12s might be your best set up, IDQ's are fairly cheap on Sounddomain right now, I have two eclipse aluminum 10s but you dont sound like you want a sub that small

16. ESUguy

ESUguy New Member

Why not a single ported Shiva. They're cheap and sound great.

17. denim

denim New Member

that is a great option

18. 04

04 Guest

Absolutely not. It is incorrect because the diameter of the cone does not change the frequency response in the way you are saying. If all other factors are equal, a 15" woofer would be louder than a smaller diameter speaker, but that would be at all bass frequencies.

I'm disagreeing with it because its flat out wrong. I see it all the time too, and it gets posted in threads all the time.

Now, if you just swapped out JUST the cone and basket for a larger diameter diaphram, then yes, the response would extend lower, because the moving mass is higher because of more cone area of the same material and thickness. But if you went from a 8" to 15" diaphram, but kept the moving mass the same, the response will be the same, but more output with the 15"

I'd like to know your rationale behind why a smaller diameter speaker plays higher notes better? You *could* say that generally 15" woofers will play lower (I wouldnt ever say something like that) and thats still only a half truth. However, there is no basis in fact that a smaller diameter woofer would play higher frequency bass better than a larger diameter one, unless the woofer cone is simply enormous (greater than 30 or 40 inches).

19. LaJoo

LaJoo Guest

which would be better to go with? 2 or 3 10's or 2 12's or 1 15 or 1 18?

20. 04

04 Guest

In my opinion, if you have the space, the 18" would be the best bet. But I don't know if you could fit a 18" woofer in your trunk. Plus 18" woofers are somewhat harder to find.

I'd get a 15" woofer most likely.

21. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

You sound like you want something very loud. I would get an Eclipse 15" or a JL 13w7 (13.5"). Both of those will hit very hard and have good SQ. As for amps, you can't go wrong with a JL slash series.

22. denim

denim New Member

if money is a little bit of a factor and you are not competiting, i would rather get one very nice 15" sub, or even one 12", instead of 2 medicore subs. I am putting a single H2 15 in my car, had planned on 2 12's but opted for one 15

23. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

lol ok.....so then why are u arguing? thats my whole point is the bigger sized woofer will get lower. im not being all technical saying the larger the diameter the lower the extension, just pointing out that of the same sub, the larger size will extend lower.

24. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

agreed, 1 super sub is a good way to go. i use a single 12" magnum and its plenty for me and the SQ is amazing. its sealed too.

25. LaJoo

LaJoo Guest

would a 15" Brahma be better than a jl 13w7?