Help with Car Audio

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Brock, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Brock

Brock New Member

I have a F250 super cab and want to upgrade the sound system in it. I don't know to much about car audio and wanted to get some opinions. I'm looking to spend < $1000. I want something that I can plug my ipod into but I don't care if the deck is able to control the ipod, I just don't like the FM cable setup I have right now.

I'm interested in the best sound I can get without adding a woofer. I like to hear/feel the bass but by no means do I want it to be overpowering. I'm looking for a sound that is similar to the best systems that come OEM from car manufactures.

I've been looking at the Alpine CDA-9847 or 9851 for the deck. Would that and a simple speaker upgrade suffice? I believe the current speakers are 5". Any speaker recommendations? 2-way, 3-way, separates? Do I need an amp or will the deck suffice?

Thanks guys for the help.

2. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

what year is your 250? all the newer f series use 6x8s.

3. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

the latest alpine's are bad, look for a 2004 model like the 9827 9830, 9833, 9835

4. Brock

Brock New Member

You're right, I just found out that they are 6x8s. 2001.

5. Brock

Brock New Member

What do you mean by bad? What current brand/model deck would you recommend for around $250 or less?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  6. Brock

Brock New Member

I went to good guys today to hears some samples. The best sounding speakers were some $99 Infinities (didn't get the model #) but they didn't have as much bass as I would have liked, but still better than the rest. I would like a little more *thump* out of them. Will an amp help with this? Or does someone know of a better speaker that will produce some good bass? They didn't have much selection in 5x7/6x8s. Also, I wasn't able to hear them with an amp hooked up because their whole setup was all fucked and he wasn't able to get things working right.

7. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

at bestbuy we have three or hour 6x8s... the pioneer 3 ways, the model number is 6871 has a decent amount of midbass. a four channel amp will help give a full range of sound. we carry the decks that you're looking at too...

take a look at the newest pioneer decks.. they're very easy to use and have some great features. the deh-p6700 andd 7700 come to mind. i'm in carlsbad so let me know if you have any questions of probs.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the better OEM premium systems are starting to sound very good... and almost all are using subwoofers to acheive this. I'd look into a stealthbox or something similar to get that effect.

9. Mojo

Mojo New Member

if you dont plan to add subs or an amp, i would look for a deck that puts out most rms power per channel. pioneer premier P-8 for example: 36rms x 4?

then a nice component set up front and some decent rear speakers.

10. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I would get Boston NX or SL speakers. They sound great, and you could get 2 pairs of them, a nice head unti, and an apple ipod docking thing for under a grand. If you went with Ebay you could probally get an amp with it instead of just the head unit power. Memphis makes good stuff and so does JL Audio, but I like my bostons speakers. JL subs > Boston subs though.