A&P Help with Camera settings v.noobsauce

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Guld, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

So I bought a camera a while back, a Cannon Powershot S5 IS to be exact, and recently took it to a concert. Because they fill the room up that smoky stuff to make the lights look better, it's impossible to use the flash because it just fucks up the image so I used the manual mode and just played with the ISO and focus. I was able to get some good shots but what I found was that I had a lot of smeared photos from people on stage moving however they weren't particularly large movements. How would I go about fixing that? What settings would I have to play with? Thanks.

2. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Pics for example?

I'm gonna guess your shutter speed was too slow.

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

you're going to want to turn your ISO up pretty much as high as it goes, probably 1600, no flash, and shoot with as fast of a shutter speed that still gives you enough light in the picture).

raising the ISO is going to make your pictures really grainy, but at least they will be lit and if you use the right shutter speed they will not blur.

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

then just run some noise reduction software on it like noise ninja, and then as long as you aren't trying to view them at full size or print posters out of them, if you size them down they should look pretty decent.

5. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

I've fixed both of them up in Photoshop already (just contrast, brightness, levels, etc) but it's still obvious what I'm talking about.

A good shot:
    [​IMG]

A bad shot (smearing on the hands/guitar):
    [​IMG]

Most of the bad ones were worse than this one and I've deleted them to make room on my card to take more pictures without thinking of needing them for examples.

I was thinking it was the shutter speed and I do have a shutter speed priority mode on my camera but I wasn't sure how to mess with it.

6. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

The ISO isn't the problem. I didn't really have a problem with the lighting even at 200. Take a look at the sample pictures I've just put up. They had a spot light on stage most of the time so I had some good lighting to work with. ISO 1600 is kind of a joke in my opinion, at least on my camera anyway.

7. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

Oh, I should also mention I was working zoomed too. I didn't delve into any digital zoom, but I was zoomed in a bit on both pictures.

8. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

its a canon :mamoru:

actually those pics look a lot better what i was expecting. :bigok:

9. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

if you're getting blur from his fingers then you need to shoot with a faster shutter speed, if the faster shutter speed then causes the picture to be too dark you need to shoot with a wider aperture, if you are as wide as your aperture goes then you need to raise your ISO settings.

10. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

Yeah, well like I said I fixed them up a bit. Before they were just a bit flat and I just played with the levels/contrast/brightness to make them "pop" a little more.

11. nine

nine OT Supporter

the camera will adjust the shutter speed for you, so at iso200 you'll still get the same exposure you'd get at iso 1600. the only difference is the shutter speed will be slow in iso 200 causing motion blur.

12. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

The images I've put up have all the details. I'm not really sure of the terminology, but the aperture in both was F/3.5...

13. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

Ok. The only reason I didn't really go too high with the ISO was because I was afraid it would destroy the shots with grainy fuzz.

14. nine

nine OT Supporter

well the pics were at 1/8th of a second. so if anything moves within that period of time then you will get motion blur.

at iso 1600 you would have been 1/60th of a second. iso 800 probably would have gotten the job done.