Help with bios settings

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GuOD, Jan 9, 2005.

1. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

I'm trying to figure out how to change my FSB: DRAM frequency. My motherboard only supports up to DDR400 so I'm assuming I can't simply overclock the memory freq (I already have ddr400, and any overclocking causes a crash).

I think what I need to do is set my FSB: DRAM to be like 5:4 or something so that I can increase the cpu FSB. Could anyone help with this please?

Using Abit Av8 K8T800 Pro

I searched the manual and online but I can't find anything :dunno:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that chipset isn't very o/c friendly. But really you should keep the cpu/memory locked and get what you can.

what chip do you have, and what are you getting? Also what ram is it?

3. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

Oh sorry I should have said what pieces I have.

ORSAIR VALUE SELECT DUAL CHANNEL 1024MB KIT PC3200 DDR CAS2.5 2X512MB
    Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester

I'm not exactly sure what hypertransport is either.

The mb comes with uguru software which supposedly allows overclocking but when I set it to "turbo" mode it changes the voltages and says the cpu is at 2160 mhz, but then as soon as I try to play a game it crashes (well, freezes but the sounds continue to play)

edit: Also, it appears from all of my searches that the abit av8 is very oc friendly? I am just really confused. I read a complete guide just explaining what each term means but I can't find all the same things in my Bios.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the mobo does allow overclocking, but the KT800 chipset isn't the best. The crashing could be memory-related. Corsair ValueSelect is great ram for running stock speeds, but that's really all it's designed to do. Corsair XMS would be better to o/c with. But that's assuming that the memory is the short rope.

Overclocking is a tricky beast, and what others get isn't neccessarily what you'll get. It's very possible that you've reached the limits of your setup. Do you have some other ram you can try with? At this point your best bet is to either slowly up the fsb until it's no longer stable. Then back off a bit and that's what you'll get reliably. Swapping other parts in may increase what you can get.

5. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

I don't have any other ram actually, but I guess I'll try just slowly upping the fsb. Is there anyway to set the fSB: dram ratio so that I can keep the memory at stock clock but increase the CPU??

Also, Is it possible my power supply isn't good enough?? I have sonata stock 380w antec ps with a 6800gtOC w/ nv5 silencer

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's possible on the psu. But again, without having another to swap in, then it's impossible to tell conclusively. You wouldn't happen to have a sparkle handy, would ya? ;)

I wouldn't recommend setting the FSB:big grin:RAM to ASync... Extra overhead will likely hurt you.

7. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

i think that PSU is a little underpowered especially with that vid card
    dunno what effect it would have on your OCing though

8. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

What would you say about adding extra voltage? If I'm going to try for another 10 in FSB, should I add voltage to ram or cpu?

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i would absolutely not touch the voltage.

10. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

i guess i'll just leave everything how it is for now.

I'm guessing the cpu will be the first bottleneck problem but i know for sure it's easily overclockable, so when the time comes I will get a new PSU/ram/mb.

11. gaybutsex

gaybutsex New Member

its not worth running async for a small overclock. abits generally overclock pretty well, i dont think its the chipset. what kind of ram and psu?
    it could be the ram, but im doubting its the psu...what are the chances that it would crap out the second you overclock?
    try different ram, if that doesnt work than try a different psu and if all else fails, rma O_O

12. mace

mace i don't read

It crashes because you probably kept the HyperTransport at 5x. It's not stable over 1000mhz. Lower it to 4x and you should overclock fine.

I have that same ram and It's stable to 220Mhz

13. mace

mace i don't read

I have a nforce 3 motherboard, I dunno if the hypertransport is the same with the via chipset

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

HT is the same on both chipsets (its a cpu thing) but your nForce3 is more o/c friendly when compared to the via chipset. Even if it was the same chipset, your o/c is no guarantee of what he'll get.

15. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

How do I change my hyper transport from 5x to 4x? the only thing I can find that is similar is the LDT bus frequency? I can change it to 1-5X FSB. I'm guessing I should change that one to 4 and try again?

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

LDT is HT, for those that don't know. It used to be called LDT before they changed the name to HT.

17. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

Thanks for the quick help tonight from everyone, especially Jollyogre. I'm gonna try changing it to 4x and see how things workout.

I read that LDT is the same as HT but then I also read it was for multiprocessors or something so I just wanted to make sure.

I'll try it now.

18. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

I changed the LDT BUS to 4X instead of 5x (Hypertransport) and now it is fully stable running at 220mhz fsb and 220mhz for the ram also.

Here is the confusing part: I am trying to get doom3 to run better. I play at 1680x1050 (widescreen monitor) and when I auto detect with all default settings it puts it at "high". I can put the anti aliasing up to 4x and it will run with almost no lag.

However, if i put it up to 8x AA I will notice significant lag on the intro screen even. After I oc'd to 2.2ghz cpu, 220mhz ram, AND overclocked video card 40mhz/150mhz core/mem the game runs EXACTLY the same. I still can't even see the intro screen without lag at 8x AA.

Is there some other problem why I can't run AA? I have the newest drivers for everything.

19. mace

mace i don't read

what video card do you have? I don't think that 8x AA is that much of a noticible improvement over 4x.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

AA isn't really a cpu thing... it's a video card thing.

going from 4x to 8x means you process at least twice as much. So it's very feasable that it's beyond the capability of your card, and no small o/c is gonna change that.

21. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

I have a BFG 6800 GT OC.

6800GT is normally 350/500, factory oc is 370/500, I have it at 415/575

does that mean it's impossible to play with 8 or 16 AA because I thought 6800 GT is second best vid card and mine is already overclocked past ultra?

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

doom 3 is a stressful game. Just because you have a great video card doesn't mean that a game can't exceed it's capabilities.