help with bad habit when doing cleans

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by kit99bar, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

I watched that video Ceaze posted with the asian guy teaching how to do snatches and cleans. He said it's very poor for to spread your legs wide when catching the weight on your shoulders. I started cleans a month ago and this is what my body naturally does when I try to explode up. any advice on how to stop this?

2. cls

cls Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in

Your legs should spread a bit when you catch it. Watch some of the olympic lifters. However, they should only spread as far as your feet go when you land from a jump.

The reason your legs spread further than that is to dip you lower to catch the weight. The solutions to this are:
    1) Throw the weight up higher
    2) Find another way to dip under the weight.

Try some lightweight full cleans, dropping into the full squat position. If you can't do this yet, work on your clean grip front squats until you can. Once you can quickly drop under the weight into a full squat position, I bet your habit will go away.

3. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

per Starting Strength:

The feet will stomp into their same footprints or just a little wider. Just a little means a couple of inches per side wider. You will see some trainees shift their feet out to a position wider than a squat stance. This "spider in heat" position is used in an attempt to drop lower under the bar, in lieu of pulling it high enough. They don't get a good stomp going this wide because the angle is not conducive to stomping and the distance covered is so far that it takes too long. Stomping is quick, lateral splitting is not. Fix this when you see it by making them stomp into their starting position footprints several times without the bar. And make them focus on this foot position during the clean with a lighter weight that can be racked properly. A lateral split is a bad thing to choose as a habit: it is dangerous, hard to control, and ineffective. The purpose of the power clean is pulling the bar high—we don't want to make it easier to get under the bar, we want to pull the bar higher. And if we were going to make it easier to get under the bar we would use the standard squat version of the clean, not a weird bastardized mutation thereof.

4. kit99bar

you guys are awesome. The reason you listed of why I did this bad habit makes perfect sense! I'll do all those suggestions in a few days. :bowdown:

5. kit99bar

I just got back from the gym. Thanks so much for this help, I was able to do my cleans and catch it in a "clean grip". It felt so good. I was able to get some personal highs even feeling weak from drinking last weekend. :bowdown:

Now my problem is getting the weight to the ground. haha. Since it was on my shoulder in a "clean grip" I couldn't catch it and lower it. Several times I dropped the weights on the saftey bars. On my last few reps I had a few guys help me lower it. Someone at the gym said I should go somewhere with rubber weights so I can just drop it. Any suggetions on lowering the weight?

thanks again! cleans rocked tonight.

6. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

yeah, get the weight higher and you wont have to spread apart to get so low.

7. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

i have the other side of the problem i guess.. i find it difficult getting my feet to move at all.. all my years of playing hockey i guess i trained myself to make sure i had good contact with the ice on my edges of the skate so jumping and going wider seems a bit unnatural :o

i have no problems getting under the bar though even with the narrower stance..

8. MP18

MP18 New Member

I have the same problem, since I started the olympic lifts I have never been anywhere that allows me to drop the weights. I would recommend working on the flexibility in your shoulders and elbows to allow you to grip the bar more completely when you rack the clean, then by dropping your elbows and leaning forward a bit you can drop the bar down to your thighs then lower it to the ground. After a while you'll get the hang of it and be able to do it efficiently and without expending a lot of energy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.