GUN Help with ammo

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thedude11, Nov 4, 2007.

1. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I need to get some SD ammo for my CCW...

[​IMG]

I can't remember which Ranger series is the good stuff... is this a good deal?

2. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

http://www.mahsupplies.net/

If you want the Ranger-T stuff, you'll want either RA40T or RA40TA. Personally, I'd go with the HST bullet.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'd buy the RA40T from the link above.

4. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Will it be a problem if the ID I send to them has a different address than the shipping address (It's going to be a different state, too)?

5. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Call and find out.

6. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

T Series bullet is what you want.

7. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

So is the only benefit of the bonded over the T-series that it performs better when traveling through a barrier, such as glass?

Does the T-series perform better when not traveling through a barrier?

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'd encourage you to visit winchester's site, they have a great comparison too that will show you but the short answer is in general no, bonded rounds don't perform as well except through auto glass, other times they don't expand as well.

9. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Checked out their comparison. It seems they performed similarly except in the denim (4 layers) and the heavy cloth. The T-series outperformed in both of those categories. Through auto glass the bonded didn't drastically outperform the T, .63" expansion to .61" and 87% retain wt to 85%. With that being said, is the performance better as in it stays on path more reliably? I couldn't find any written explanation, just the chart.

This is 40 cal 180 gr, btw.

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

To my knowledge if your problem with wandering bullets in tissue was because of core seperation, the bonded would help. If it wasn't, it won't matter. My impression is that the ranger t line has very little core serpation issues short of the autoglass and maybe some in the 9mm +P+ rounds. Personally I'm the most worried about cloth tests since I'd be more likely to shoot clothed people than someone in cars and would rather have the performance of the regular rounds. Ymmv, I've not spent much time looking at bonded stuff, I imagine there are several good reports on bonded ammo performance at tacticalforums.com in the terminal effects forum.

11. MTech

MTech New Member

The ones posted in that coupon aren't the T's at all they're normal HP's which some agencies use as practice ammo. The Ranger-T is what you want and the new stuff they released is Ranger-T Bonded.. you can get it bonded or not bonded it's just bonded is for better penetration in preventing core separation when going through objects such as windshields... If you think you may need to do something like that then spend the extra like $3 a box..otherwise normal Ranger-T is fine.

EDIT: That add is such BS.. not normally available to the public?? It's perfectly legal to the public to buy any Ranger Ammo Winchester just doesn't sell direct to them as they want LEO's to have first dibs on it. Plus "better than talons" is BS.. they MIGHT be better than the original "Black Talons" but those are not Ranger-T's by any means.

and as always stick to Doc's Approved Defensive Ammo List.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial,stencil]The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

9 mm:
    Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)

.40 S&W:
    Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP
    Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)
    Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)
    Winchester Partition Gold 165 gr JHP (RA401P)
    Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)
    Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)
    Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)
    Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)

.45 ACP:
    Barnes XPB 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
    Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

Notes:
    -- Obviously, clone loads using the same bullet at the same velocity work equally well (ie. Black Hills ammo using Gold Dot bullets, Corbon loads using Barnes XPB bullets, etc…)

-- Bullet designs like the Silver Tip, Hydra-Shok, and Black Talon were state of the art 10 or 15 years ago. Modern ammunition which has been designed for robust expansion against clothing and intermediate barriers is significantly superior to the older designs. The bullets in the Federal Classic and Hydrashok line are outperformed by other ATK products such as the Federal Tactical and HST, as well as the Speer Gold Dot; likewise Winchester Ranger Talons are far superior to the old Black Talons or civilian SXT's.

----------------------------------------

Basically all the standard service calibers work when fed good quality ammunition. The platform picked tends to dictate the caliber. For example, Glocks and Sigs tend to run best in 9 mm; the S&W M&P is the first .40 S&W pistol that seems to offer an ideal ergonomic and shooter friendly package; while a properly customized 5" steel-frame single-stack 1911 in .45 ACP is a superb, unparalleled choice for the dedicated user willing to spend a significant amount of money to get it properly initially set-up and considerable time to maintain it. For folks who want a .45 ACP pistol, but don't want to invest the funds and effort into getting a good 1911, they would be better served with a S&W .45 ACP M&P, HK45, S&W 4566, or possibly the SA .45 ACP XD.

Whatever you choose, make sure you fire at least 500 and preferably 1000 failure free shots through your pistol prior to using it for duty. If your pistol cannot fire at least 1000 consecutive shots without a malfunction, something is wrong and it is not suitable for duty/self-defense use.
    [/FONT]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  12. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Normal ranger T-Series, NOT the bonded. You want better expansion. Like everyone else here said...

13. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

.... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: No one shoots 1000 rounds of carry ammo through their weapon, that would be WAY to fucking expensive. I've put 150 rounds of T Series 127g +p+ through my 26 and that was too expensive. And I'm one of the more "cautious" members on here.

1000 rounds. LAWL! I can think of a few people who haven't even put 1K rounds through thier gun total.

14. MTech

MTech New Member

I'm pretty sure he's saying shoot 500 rounds period.. not carry ammo. By "whatever you choose" he means for a gun, not for defensive ammo
    http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=000964
    :wavey: