Help with AMD A64

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Arc, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Arc

Arc New Member

I am looking to upgrade my pc and I want to get a A64. I need to get a new motherboard and a processor. Which ones do you suggest?

Right now I have a P4 2.4Ghz, think the MB is a Abit IS7..budget buy for both. And I would like it to be faster. Running PC3200 400ddr.

Thanks

2. diranged

diranged New Member

Asus A8N SLI is one of the best boards, and it supports Dual Core already. If your willing, I highly recommend the Shuttle SN25P or ST20G5 SFF systems (both support Dual Core already) as a whole system replacement.

Also I suggest the Athlon X2 4400+ if your willing to go dual core, if not, maybe an Athlon64 3200+ 90nm 1mb l2 cache..

3. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

only 90 nm A64 3200+ I know that has a 1mb l2 is the Newark core that replaced the mobile Clawhammer.

I have no idea where to get that core from OEM

4. Arc

Arc New Member

that sounds like a great idea..only problem is that i dont have $600+ for a processor...poor college kid :wtc:..wish i could go duel core...the shuttle system would be ideal bc of the size but i dont think i could afford the setup and then buy a cpu..looking to spend ~$400 total. this is what i am looking at...lmk if its good or bad...

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $135

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX - Retail $190

I think that the Venice is the new version:dunno:

5. Missile Command Kid

Missile Command Kid New Member

I like MSI - they tend to put out a quality product. I've got that exact processor (yes, it is latest revision), and it's pretty nice. Price is just okay, though; sure you can't get it for cheaper?

6. Arc

Arc New Member

That's on newegg. I only started looking for these yesterday, so I havnt looked too much so if any suggestiongs on were to look would be appreciated.

Also I read somewhere that a 2.0 Ghz on a 64 bit is pretty close to a 2.8+ 32 bit? Any truth to this?

Thanks