Help with a weird wireless 802.11b setup, connection drops 3-4 a day

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Renegade, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Renegade

Renegade New Member

So a friend of mine asks me to look at his computer and tell me why his wireless connection drops and the router has to be reset 3-4 times every 8 hours.

I look at it and dont understand this setup, have you heard of this and how does it work?

He seems to have a cable modem connected to the wall and then a router connected to this cable modem, but none of those devices are connected to the computer and are about 10 feet away so that his office looks pretty with the router and modem tucked away. He has connected to his computer a linksys 802.11b usb adapter that connects the computer to the router and so thats how he gets on the internet. How do you have a router and cable modem working without it being hardwired to the computer?

Anyhow anyone have suggestions to why his internet stops working and the router has to be reset 3-4 times a day? He has windows XP, he has no WEP enabled.

The only thing i did was turn off the integrated firewall on XP, but I dont know if this will work. Would it be advisable to turn off the QoS Packet Scheduler?

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I'm assuming he has a linksys router as well - they have a firmware update (goto linksys.com). It is pretty easy to update the firmware, you download the file to your computer then upload to the router.

The linksys router had a problem with DHCP which is fixed by the update.

Theres nothing wrong with having the modem and router tucked away.

3. Renegade

Renegade New Member

No but if the router and modem have no wires at all connected to any type of computer how does it broadcast signals wirelessly?

4. Renegade

Renegade New Member

It is a new BEFW11S4 he got in the store a few months ago..I think the router has the updated firmware but im not sure...would the model this new have the DHCP problem your talking about

5. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Well - anytime you are having trouble with *anything* you should check drivers/firmware. Linksys had this issue with their routers - I had it and the firmware update fixed it. If its someone that doesn't know much about computers then I doubt the firmware has been updated.

The router itself is like a computer - it can transmit with NO computers attached. I'm not exactly sure why someone wouldn't plug directly into it for atleast one computer (why spend the extra ~$50 for an additional wireless card).

Also, linksys wireless cards have an issue with a Windows XP service - its something like "Automatic Wireless Configuration" - make sure you disable it. This is only the case if you are NOT using WEP encryption but disabling it won't hurt.

6. Renegade

Renegade New Member

Where do I find Automatic Wireless Configuration to disable it on windows xp?

7. Renegade

Renegade New Member

8. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

In "Services"

Right Click My Computer -> Manage -> Services

Make sure you update firmware!

9. Renegade

Renegade New Member

Wait is it in the control panel, and then under performance and then under administrative tools, and the under services?

10. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.