TAT Help with a Tattoo

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by truggy, Apr 25, 2008.

1. truggy

truggy New Member

I am thinking about getting my first tat. I was wanting my 2 boys names written in Kanji on my back with the symbolic picture of brothers in the background. I am not familiar with japanese culture so that is why I am here. I have a person to draw up my tat but just need some insperation. My boys names are Jordan which I found an image online said looked like this.
    [​IMG] Jordan
    and Garrett
    [​IMG] Garrett
    are these correct translations? How would you write these going downwards left to right or right to left going down?
    What is the symbolism of brothers in Japansese culture? A pic to put in the background?
    If anyone would write these up for me that would be fantastic. Hopefully soon it will be drawn up and on me.

2. meshuggahn

meshuggahn New Member

If you are that clueless on Japanese culture/language why do you want it on you?

3. tehganj

tehganj oh, hi.

:werd: not trying to be an asshole but you shouldn't be asking for advice if you don't fully know the culture/researched your tat...

4. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

names don't translate properly because they don't have a proper alphabet like us.

Years ago in a tattoo magazine they had someone go to japan and ask a 60 year old man to translate the name "Clay" for them. He wrote out "flowing river". They then went to a 16 year old male and asked him to do the same, his translated to "ghostly spirit". Their dialects change from area to area and you'll never get a proper translation of yours boys names.

5. r3j3ct

r3j3ct New Member

A raised middle finger means brother in japanese sign language... seriously, look it up

6. Got_Milf?

Got_Milf? Custom User Title:

take it from someone with "tattoo regret" dont get kanji!! people even confuse me with being asian, or even japanese, but i still wish i hadn't gotten my kanji symbols!

7. truggy

truggy New Member

I wanted to get a tat that symbolized someting. Hence my kids names. I think it would look better in Kanji rather then just writing their names on my back. I like the looks of Kanji done right not just block letters. I tried looking up the meanings but came up with nothing. Thats why I am here. I was going to get it drawn up stick it on my fridge for a couple months then if I still like it go for it.

8. J

J Active Member

To clarify, that isn't kanji. That's katakana, one of three Japanese writing systems. Katakana is primarily used to spell out foreign words and names, such as your sons' names.

However, as far as katakana, what you've got is just about right. The literal translations of those in romanji would be:

Jioodan (jyo-dahn)

Garetto (gah-reh-toe)

Traditionally, they would be written from top to bottom, like so:

|

However, the way you've presented it is also acceptable.

9. J

J Active Member

There are so many different ways to write a name in kanji, and each individual kanji can have different meanings... it's a cluster fuck :o

10. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

I'm glad you said it because i was about to type all that shit out...

11. XTREME COCKSUCKER

XTREME COCKSUCKER New Member

I think all in all, it's usually a mistake to get kanji tattoos.