WEB Help with a site idea

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MmmmBeeeeer, Dec 30, 2009.

1. MmmmBeeeeer

MmmmBeeeeer New Member

A buddy of mine wants to create a site where people can upload stats and track their RTTS player for the upcoming game MLB10: The Show.

His idea is that it would basically look like this:

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=408045

I told him it would probably require some advanced php scripting, but I only know the extreme basics of php.

I think he's looking for the ability to create an account, upload stats that automatically tally/average depending on the stat category etc. and possibly to export stats into vbcode to be pasted into peoples own RTTS threads.

My question is, would php be best suited for this? How advanced would this be? Where could I go to learn how to write this? And lastly, if he was to pay someone to do it, any ballpark idea of what someone would charge? If any of you are willing to tackle this project, you can maybe give me your prices and I will relay them to him?

TIA

edit: http://www.leaguedaddy.com already does a setup that would probably be pretty similar to what he's looking for, but they only do leagues. Just in case you wanted a better idea of what he is envisioning.

2. MmmmBeeeeer

MmmmBeeeeer New Member

Anyone with any advice at all???

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

there is no "best" per se. unless it's the only thing you know, then it's the best.

From the sounds of it, not very advanced at all. But this would be dependant on your skills.

I would pick up a good book, but that's how I like to learn. I don't care for php, so if that's the direction you want to go, then somebody else could probably point you in the right direction.

I don't quote projects without a pretty detailed spec document, but somebody else might. You could pay by the hour until you're satisfied with the progress from the developer (more of an agile approach). In that case, expect to pay anywhere from $50-100/hr for mid level php work.

4. Mikenotmike

Mikenotmike

I'd use Drupal, do the averaging/talleying on the theme level with some basic php calculations (or jquery). This way the framework is all taken care of and you're really doing nothing more than theming, which is way easier than building everything from scratch

5. MmmmBeeeeer

MmmmBeeeeer New Member

Thank you for the replies guys :)