Help with a networking setup im trying to do.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ZeKs, Nov 23, 2007.

1. ZeKs

ZeKs OT Supporter

I need to put internet access in the garage. What is the best way to do this?

I have a Cable Modem -> Connected to a Buffalo Wireless Router.

PC is hooked up via cable since its only 3 feet apart. Now Wifi all that way to the back of the house isn't acceptable. I need this to be wired.

I was thinking of using 1 of the free ports available on the router and use a 100' cat5 cable and run in all the way to the garage. I want to have at least 2 things connected in the garage so do I need a hub or switch ti accomplish this? Thanks for the help.

EDIT:

Actutally, I want to have wifi access in the garage too. So what exactly is needed to this? Another wireless router? Do I connect the 100' cable to the WAN port of the router? This is slightly confusing for me.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Buy yourself another wireless router. Turn off the DHCP server on the new one. Connect the new one to the old one via one of the regular ports on both routers - do NOT use the WAN router on the new router.

3. ZeKs

ZeKs OT Supporter

I totally forgot that when I upgraded to the my buffalo router I had an old Dlink wireless router thus I can tryout some stuff and see what works.

I connected a 50' cable I have to a free port and the other end to dlink WAN port. From there I connected another 25ft cable I have to a free port of the dlink router to a desktop, and laptop via wifi and both worked beautifully.

5Gen_Prelude, what are the benefits of doing it that way you suggested? Draw backs the way I tried it? I just need a 100' cable so the router can reach indoors instead of being outdoors.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Benefits to my way:

All computers are on the same subnet so they see each other.
    No need to jump through a 2nd router to get to the interweb

Drawbacks to your way:

See above

5. ZeKs

ZeKs OT Supporter

:cool: