Help with a HP Ze5170 (bios pw wtf?)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Alchemist, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Alchemist

Alchemist Your Neighborhood Supplier

i was wondering if any of the computer ppl here could help me out, i m having big time HD failure on my laptop (hp pavilion 5170) and i have to unlock the bios, which i never pw protected in the first place. now i have to fax all this info and its prolly gonna take at least a week. google only provided passwords to desktops as far as i could find. any help would be appreciated.

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

might want to check with your friends if you have any computer savvy friends who might have done that as a prank. the bios is not normally password protected from the factory.

3. Alchemist

thanks for the advice, the problem is no one has really touched this computer besides me, and i always kept it running well , reformatting when needed, and doing normal maintenance. the hd took a shit on me out of no where yesterday and now circutycity wont' fix it even though i have a 3 year waranty till the I take care of that. i don't think any of my friends would/could do this bc I know a bit more than most of them and typically they come to me with cpu questions. thanks for your help.

4. Alchemist

oh btw i was reading online and i figured out i need a "backdoor password". i was hoping someone here could help me out. :hs: thanks.

5. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

should be able to remove the cmos battery (watch looking battery on the motherboard) and leave it out for a few minutes then pop it back in

youll have to reset the time and date in the bios but it should remove the p/w

6. Alchemist

thanks for your help i ll try that out when i get back home