help with 5.1 surround sound system

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by delussional77, Aug 11, 2007.

1. delussional77

delussional77 Active Member

So I recently decided to put together a surround system for a new apartment I moved into. Before purchasing any equipment I evaluated my current speakers.

Floor/Front speakers: Infinity Towers
    Surrounds: Paradigm Titan V.2's
    Source: Computer with external sound card using optical cable

I purchased an Onkyo TX-SR575 as my reciever/amp.

Up until a few weeks ago this was all I had. I had the Infinity speakers right next to the TV and the surrounds near my head on a couch. When playing a DVD on my computer using 2 Front/ 2 Rear everything sounds pretty good. I decided it was time to purchase a center channel and this is where things go wrong.

I purchased this center channel from PartsExpress hoping that the quality would be comparable to the rest of the surround speakers:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-674

Now when I try to watch a movie in 5.1 surround all the main dialogue from the center channel is very weak and hollow. I have adjusted my computer sound card so that all channels are flat and maximized yet the problem persists.

I have tried every setting possible on the Onkyo reciever, adjust the center channel volume, all the usual audio settings (theater, DSP, etc). And nothing even comes close to bringing in the sound the way it should be. I suspect the culprit is the cheap center channel but I have no way to tell. Are there test CD's (preferably free online) that can help me figure this out or set it up?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

This is why I brand match to avoid things such as this.

do you have Beta towers or primus or what?

For 1 that center is a piece of shit, the sensitivity isnt even close to the other speakers, the infinity towers make more with the power on tap than the dayton does by a hefty margin.

If you plan on watching many movies dont ever skimp on your center, thats what will be handling voices.

For now I recommend trying to find any tuning options for the center channel and trying to make lemonade from that lemon of a center.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2007
  3. delussional77

delussional77 Active Member

thanks ronin

my infinity towers are a bit old and i don't have a model number, they are not the beta towers.

I am going to purchase a more reputable center from one of the big box stores (hopefully infinity) and will play around with it more this evening. I also have another sound card which has the analog multi-channel outputs and am going to see if I get any luck with those.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

if you buy infinity:

www.pricegrabber.com

save yourself some money