Help - Wireless Router Is Slow

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dave1, Jul 27, 2006.

1. dave1

dave1 New Member

Hey everyone...

I got a wireless router a little while back (netgear). It worked fine. I don't remember having any speed problems with it.

I didn't use it for a few weeks. When I got back, I reconnected it, and now it's slow. Basically, this is the problem: When I connect directly to my cable modem, I get 8088kbps download and 474kpbs upload. When I connect to the wireless router, I get 5064kpbs download and 476kpbs upload. I took the tests one after another (switching between wired and wireless), and these are the best results I got (I also used different bandwidth speed test sites). I know this still isn't bad, but I'd like to know why my wireless router isn't running at full speed.

My wireless modem is connecting at 54Mbps (netgear wgr101), 802.11g, and signal strength is 5 out of 5 (excellent). I tried playing with my router settings - using different channels, using WEP instead of WPA, using the "g only" setting (not "b and g"), etc with no luck.

Anyone have any ideas about what might cause this?

Cliffnotes:
    - Didn't notice problem with wireless router before
    - Reused wireless router after a couple weeks, now speed is slow
    - After successive tests, cable modem speed=8088kbps downlaod/474kbps upload, wireless router speed=5064kbps download/476kbps upload
    - Played with wireless modem settings, had no luck
    - Any ideas?

2. somebodyelse

somebodyelse OT Supporter

Something to know about wireless.

You dont' get the full 54Mbps throughput. There is a lot of overhead with wireless traffic, leaving less room for your actual data. Also, check to see if anyone else is in range, (like a neighbor) especially if they have a 'b' client, because as soon as a router detects a 'b' client, it has to drop to 11Mbps. However if you've locked her down to 'g' only, that shouldn't be the case.

Match the polarity of the routers antenna with the one on your computer. Most laptops have it horizontal, so ensuring the routers antenna is also horizontal sometimes helps.

There are lots of reasons it could be slower. Wireless is a complicated technology. I don't remember a whole lot since I took my CWNA course a while back. But I do remember always having different problems with it over the years.

3. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

My netgear router has the exact same issue, even if I pluged in using a cable. It also tends to break itself after I transfer a gigabyte or so, forcing me to reset the settings... A lot of the time, that didn't even work, and I had to unplug it for 15ish seconds.

Was very glad when I got back to using my linksys WRTG.

4. Schproda

Schproda New Member

5 MB of download is kicking ass. Your upload is restricted. I wouldn't be complaining.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I thought the 54Mb/s rating didn't include the hardware-layer overhead? Isn't the raw bandwidth actually closer to 90Mb/s, including the overhead?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

lol, no.

54Mbps is the MAXIMUM THEORETICAL link speed. There is wireless overhead, signal degredation, and interference to account for in addition to the normal overhead of the ethernet packet system, and then retransmits, drops, failed crc, etc.

You won't ever get close to getting 54Mbps out of 802.11g.

7. kenzo

kenzo New Member

download Tuneup Utilites 2006 from torrent
    this could fix your download problem

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Ah. Oh well. Is it 802.11n, then, that has a higher raw bandwidth than what's listed on the box?

10. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

5064kpbs is NOT slow. Any type of "slowness" you experience on the internet is not because of that wireless router (atleast...not because of the 8088kbps-5064kpbs variance).

Do you say it's slow because the speed tests say that it's slow or because it "feels" slow?

11. dave1

dave1 New Member

Thanks for the responses. Like I said when I started the topic, I know that 5000+kbps is not slow, but I'd like to know why I'm not getting full speed from it and how I can fix this.

I can feel that it's slow, and it shows in bandwidth tests as well.

I'll check out that program that was mentioned... anyone else have any ideas?

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no.

13. Schproda

Schproda New Member

I don't care what test says 5Mb is slow. If that's all you're going by just try to worry about what's going on with your PC instead. You may also be on a cable connection where bandwidth is shared.