help wiping out computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by integraca, Apr 16, 2009.

1. integraca

integraca New Member

So, It's time to wipe out my computer,DLL errors, trojans etc etc.. I want to get it back to that "new computer state".

Just backed everything up on disks that I want to keep, now I just need to wipe it out. I did some research and it seems that I am going to need my OS (vista) on disk? is this true? the problem with that Is my computer came pre-loaded with vista and I didn't get a disk with it.

Does anyone have some advice on how to go about wiping my computer our and weather or not I need to OS on disk? or if I can do this and still retain the OS.

2. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Should be a utility partition that you boot to that will reload it for you.

3. jmann

jmann New Member

I'm not sure if all computers are configured this way, but on my hp you keep hitting f11 when it starts to boot up. Then it asks if you want to perform a recovery, answer no. After that it should let you restore to the factory state.

4. you may and probably will need a vista disk. you will have to either download one (you can still use the vista cd key on teh sticker on your computer) or get a vista disk from your manufacturer. either way it should be free. you can take any vista disk you can get your hands on really to do this.

once you have the disk:
    boot to it
    go through the wizard to delete your partitions and make a new one and install windows on it.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

A lot of manufacturers offer downloadable recovery CDs on their websites now. Saves on the cost of buying thousands of pre-made CDs that few people will ever use.