Help... Windows XP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Frazz, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Frazz

Frazz New Member

ok so i reset my computer yesterday...

i took off all the extra programs and stuff i didn't want...

added webroot spysweeper antivirus, and firewall, and avg rootkit, and virus protection, and windows defender (my computer gets a ton of shit done to it by family)...

computer was working great, and other than 5 or so at 10,000 K, processes were running using more than about 1000 K usage at any time...

i go in the basement to watch the football game, and when came back a family member said they did updates windows said to do...

i think they also uninstalled the 60 day free Microsoft office and installed our teacher/student package.

now all my processes are running at around 3-5,000 K and 5 or so are running at 30-40,000 K...

what made my processes triple/quadruple in usage, and how do i set it back??

the cpu usage spikes to 100% for no reason and shuts out internet for about 2-5 second to the whole house and its driving other family members trying to use the internet crazy..... PLEASE HELP ME!!!

2. mondaynightmike

mondaynightmike New Member

3. mondaynightmike

mondaynightmike New Member

If you've added them it's prob all of their services running the background.

what processes are running "high"

here's mine :hs:

[​IMG]

4. Frazz

Frazz New Member

mines very similar,

i had installed those safety programs on my computer hours before the spike in usage, and i had restarted my computer about 3 times so no real solution there.

5. Frazz

Frazz New Member

im ready to say fuck it and install Ubuntu like my bro said to do in the first place

6. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Uninstall all that stuff that was just installed, then install it one at a time and try to catch what is causing the problem.

Or.

bring up task manager, then processes, then sort by CPU time. Look for the things taking the most time and google those things.

Or

Go into Task manager, then sort by CPU time then right click on the things that are running the highest and drop there priority down.

sometimes things just don't install like they are supposed to.
    You might want to think about whiping the hard drive and reinstalling everything. If it happens again after doing that then you know you have a real problem. If it doesn't happen after doing that then just forget it ever happened in the first place.