HELP..win2k not loading...."NTLDR is not loading"

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tommyortom, Jan 12, 2005.

1. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

HELP..win2k is not loading...."NTLDR is missing"

i was using my PC last night....and everything was running fine and has been for about 2 years....all of the sudden while browsing online, my harddrive started to make this click click noise, and then my PC froze, and i shut if down. when i tried to boot back up, a few seconds into loading, it said "NTLDR is missing" and when things are loading and it shows me my primary and slave hard drives and cd-roms, my primary hard drive doesnt show up, which is the drive which has windows installed on it.

so...what should i do? im at school right now and i dont know where my win2k cd is, or if i have any startup disks or anything. but ill know for sure when i get home. anything i can try to do? how do i boot in safe mode? if i have to re-format and re-install windows, thats fine. but i want to get on my computer and get a few files that i want to save.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

you need to get a w2k cd, boot from it, go to the recovery console and use fixboot

3. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

If it's making noise the hard drive could be on it's way out. You'll need to get a Windows CD or at least the 4 boot disks to try and repair it.

If you do get it to the point where it boots I'd suggest transferring files right away. It's probably the drive is fubarded already.

You can download the 4 setup disks online. There is a program that will create all 4 disks for you automatically.

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Yes, a clicking noise from your hdd is very bad.

You should not boot from it, should should not format/reinstall on it.

Do you have another hdd? Can you spare 50 bucks to buy one? Put that in, put in an OS on it, jumper the bad disk as a secondary drive, boot and hope and pray that you can see the data you need.

5. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

where is this at? i have the 4 disks already, but when i get to disk 3, it tells me a bunch of files on it are corrupt

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

just use the CD. much easier, and much faster.

7. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

ya...im reinstalling right now