HELP *Water Cooling System*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Petar, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Petar

Petar ô¿ô OT Supporter

I want to get a water cooling system for my PC because it runs way too hot and I just have a few questions...

I have a real large case with a lot of room inside, do you think I'll need to get a special case for the water cooling system?

Any recommendations on good set-ups?

2. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

What runs way too hot? Do you have it overclocked I'm guessing?

3. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

If you don't overclock, don't waste your money.

4. Petar

Petar ô¿ô OT Supporter

no i don't have it overclocked

Core 2 Duo e6600 running at 2.4 ghz
    1 gb ram
    nvidia geforce 7950 gt

I think my CPU temp sensor is off because whenever i turn my computer on it says that its running at like 90 degrees celsius. It started happening ever since I installed a dvd burner in my box. It used to say like 30-40 degrees and i've been running it like this for a few months now and I haven't had any problems or any decrease in computing power. I still play games and stuff just it used to run hot sometimes too and i'd like to switch to liquid cooling.

5. Petar

Petar ô¿ô OT Supporter

i mean i COULD overclock if i got it

6. Chris

Chris New Member

you shouldn't even need an aftermarket HSF if you're running stock speed, maybe you should re-seat your HSF

7. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

When I was running my E6600 @ 3.2GHz, I was running between 48-55°c under full load. That was with a better heatsink, but even still, that was 600MHz faster than stock and under full load.

Something is wrong with your system, either you have shitty airflow (in on the front and out on the back), too much or not enough thermal paste on the heatsink or you're using inaccurate software to measure temp.

First, I'd try running CoreTemp. http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

See what temps that comes back with.

Second, if your temps are still that high, look into a better heatsink, something like the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme if you have the case width. You can go with lower flow 120mm fans on it and still get significantly better than stock cooling.

8. free_notes

free_notes New Member

try pointing an externally powered fan at your tower. if you get bigger fans it usually gets really loud and needs a lot of power, which makes the psu run hotter and will increase the heat flowing through your heatsinks anyway.

clean your heatsinks too. dust is usually a problem on those things and will cause airflow to suffer. as mentioned previously, reseating it will help too if you use good thermal paste.