Help: Video Card and PC problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Axespeed, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Axespeed

Axespeed It's only after we've lost everything, that we're OT Supporter

So i've recently had a major virus fry my PC and im buying a Dell XPS 410 within this week

I want to know how i can find out what video card is installed in my old PC (is there a way through properties i dont know about) because i remember someone installing me a really top notch graphics card and i was wondering if i could take it out of my old PC and install it into the new one.
    I just want to know the details

Also i am getting the XPS 410 video ready with out the monitor so it subtracts $200 which i need for the price im looking at
    The monitor i currently have i pretty shitty, but still works good.. it's a Samsung SyncMaster 950b

Will i have any troubles plugging this into my dell, and also my Yamaha speakers because i dont want the ones the XPS comes with.

Thank you

2. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

Right click My Computer, Properties, Hardware Tab, device manager, display adapter.

Also... "recently had a major virus fry my PC" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

As for the monitor, if you keep your current video card, you should be able to use your same monitor. if you replace the video card, you might have to get a DVI-VGA adapter.

Speakers, no problem likely. Should plug right in.

3. Axespeed

I cant just plug in my old monitor into my new computer....i have to take the old video card out for it to run....?

and under device manager i couldnt find anything about display adapter..

it's a custom computer and i had someone install the new video card so maybe that's why it wont show up

4. jimbo_jones

jimbo_jones New Member

No, if the display adapter is working (and it is since you can see something on the screen) then it should show up on device manager even if it is a custom computer. It should be the third of fourth thing down from the top of Device Manager.

5. DaIceMan

If you have an older monitor, that only has VGA connection and your new PC only has DVI connection, you'll need an adapter.

6. Axespeed

Yes, my old Samsung monitor has a standard VGA connector but i looked up the XPS 410 and it says:

Externally Accessible
    Video: 1 DVI, VGA and 1 S-Video (with add-in PCI-Express video card)

- which i think means it has both so the monitor will work, right?

The quality of games will be bad though so am i better off buying a flatscreen?

7. DaIceMan

naah, you should be good to go. Some of the new video cards only have DVI, but either way you could still use your old monitor.

As for games... I use a regular CRT monitor, and have no problem with games. Get the new computer now, get the new monitor down the road when I deal presents itself.