Help? v. PS, Gimp, X11

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pseudonym, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

i need some help with getting a stable photo editing program. i am currently running photoshop cs on my MB with 512 ram. i know i need to upgrade ram at some point but i'll leave that for now. So the problem is that PS is running so slow. I can only find a version that is PowerPC, and assume that is why it is running slow. I heard around that gimp was an okay alternative, so i download, and launch. It says that i need to instal X11. so i find it on the net, download, and install. I try to launch Gimp again and i get the same problem.

So i have a couple questions. a) is there a version of photoshop for intel? b) how do i get X11 running so i can use Gimp?

2. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

3. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

any other suggestions? i do plan on upgradeing to 1 gig, but that won't be until maybe christmas

4. samm

samm Next in Line

5. Corporate Whore

Corporate Whore New Member

the gimp documentation says intel based macs should not download X11 off apples website, instead install it from the os x cd's, i had the ame problem at first as well

6. Corporate Whore

Corporate Whore New Member

also if anyone knows how to keep the toolbar and layers windows etc on top when you click off of them i would appreciate knowing, every time i click on the image all my toolbars are forced to the background

7. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

so i got it to work. i found the X11 downloader in the optional install packager on the cd when i SCROLLED DOWN! :uh: working fine now. it's not the real PS, but it gets most of the jobs done... and doesn't bog down my comp.

Thanks

8. Tvan

Tvan New Member

yea for some reason X11 is a bitch to install until you realize that it's right on the CD's that they gave you.

9. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!