Help understanding Windows domain behavior

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by teo, Jan 28, 2010.

1. teo

teo . => ? => !

Had an odd occurrence today, hoping someone can explain it.

I have a work laptop which connects to the domain on-site while I'm there. Occasionally I work from home and VPN in, using the cached domain credentials to log on to Windows. Today at home I booted up and tried to log on but I mistyped the password on the first go. The error it gave was "System cannot log you on because domain <domain_name> is not available". Fair enough - I guess if those aren't the credentials you're expecting it's logical that you should check wth the domain controller to see if they've changed. But when I corrected the password it wouldn't log me on and just gave the same error.

As it happened, I went to my other laptop and was Googling about trying to see if I could get around this and the work laptop went to screensaver. I tried again to log on and presto, I'm in. So, why wouldn't the computer re-check the cached domain credentials when I corrected the password? Or is there some other process at work?

That'll teach me to attempt to log on before making coffee.. :o

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Maybe you just did it wrong twice.

3. teo

teo . => ? => !

No... I'm the type that if type it wrong once, I very deliberately type it in the next time. So it was definitely right the second time around. :)