*HELP* TV surround sound not working -$ involved

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by happyrobots, Dec 17, 2005.

1. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

Yes, I'll paypal someone money (15 or 20) if you can help me out.
    Rear of the TV:
    [​IMG]

Here's the receiver:
    [​IMG]

And the cable box:
    [​IMG]

Yes I know not all my crap is the best, but I dont care. Help me connect this all together and work!
    I can get DVD surround sound, but not while watching any cable channels.
    The receiver sources are: DBS, VCR, DVD, am/fm as well.

Make connection instructions easy to unstand, i'm a noob at this pretty much.

2. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

how do you have it hooked up right now, and with what type of cables going from what to what?

Run your S-video straight from the cable box to the TV and I don't see a optical digital audio out on the cable box, only digital coaxial which your receiver doesn't seem to have, so you will have to use the regular red/white stereo RCA cables, run them out from your cable box audio out, to right under the s-video cable on the tv. If what you show for the back of the receiver are the only input/outputs, then I wouldn't use it. Or you can run it like I said and have another set of red/white RCA jacks going from the audio out on the tv into the Audio In (VCR) on your receiver, and select VCR on the receiver when you are watching tv, this will give you your audio through the receiver and still let you use just the tv speakers if you wish. If no other device in your system uses S-video, then don't bother running the video through the receiver, there is no benefit, unless your receiver does upconversion from composite video, and s-video to component, but I highly doubt that it does that. Since your dvd surround sound is working fine, leave it alone. If you don't wish to use your tv speakers ever, then you can just run the RCA's straight from the cable box to the receiver.

If what I said works, you can paypal me at [email protected]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  3. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

Well, it works...sort of. It's a temp fix :/

I did the last part, receiver to cable box (which i've done before but played with some setting this time...grr!). Anyways, theres no surround sound, just on the front 2 speakers, not rear 2 or center. It's on the VCR setting as well, so sub isn't on either....so how can I get that all working?

To make all the speakers work, I just plugged the rear wires into the front jacks. So they work, but for DVDs i'll have to undo the wires for real surround.
    So whats the fix for all this?
    BTW- you'll get partial paypal since it's a very very weak fix, but i'll give you some. + i tried that before! grr.
    If you've got AIM or MSN GlockRock, PM me it and we'll figure it out.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

that shit looks fucking confusing

5. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Thats pretty much the only way to get it to work with that limited receiver. Why not save the money you were gonna paypal and put it towards a decent receiver.

Or upgrade to the HD cable box or use the cable card, and run an optical cable from the TV (digital optical out) to the receiver digital in (dbs).

**edit** What type of receiver is this? Brand name?
    1. It doesn't matter if you run digital coax or optical to the receiver b/c your not watching HD content with that box, so all your audio is 2.1 which is what you get with the analog rca cables (white + red).
    2. You should be able to change the audio setting or sound field on the receiver to 5 channel stereo, movie, cinema or something like that. It will take the analog signal and convert it to a make-shift surround sound setting.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  6. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

I tried using the digital optical from TV to receiver and that didn't work. I can't go from receiver to cable box b/c of the cable box.
    Also, since the way it's setup now, i don't think I can change the settings to convert to make-shirt surround since the receiver is on VCR, not DBS.

Here's the receiver/home theater in a box I've got: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7033505&type=product&id=1099395276778
    JVC 1000W 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System with Progressive-Scan DVD/CD/MP3 Player - Model THC5

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  7. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

The digital optical from the TV will not work unless you have a cable card AND are watching a digital/HD channel.

You should be able to change the surround mix modes..gimme a sec to look at the remote online.

8. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

When you pull the cover of the remote down, if you press the surround button or the button next to it on the right, it should put you in different sound modes.

9. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

It does nothing. I'm guessing it does nothing since it is in VCR mode (the source is VCR), not DBS, or DVD. It works when watching a DVD, but not on VCR. Probably b/c VCRs only support 2.1, but :dunno:

10. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Could be right. I know A/V receivers are able to do it, but mabye b/c its a combo unit it doesn't have all those features. Sorry man, but the way you got it is how it has to be with the current setup you have.

11. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

Ok, understandable. To be able to get it working, I'd have to get a new cable box then? (One w/ optical digital output?) Would that work then...cause I might be able to call the provider and see what they can do. Then use optical from cable box to receiver, or how would it work then?

Or any way with TV and the receiver I've got to get it all working...? What do I need and how do I connect it?

12. johnson

johnson New Member

What a crappy system. This is why I would never recommend a HTIB setup. Can you even upgrade your speakers if you wanted to?

This has probably been mentioned but people dont know how to edit their paragraphs.
    [​IMG]

13. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Just run the s-video straight to the tv, no sense in buying an extra unnecessary s-video cable, and risking degradation of the picture.

14. Ronin

Ronin Guest

not all HTIB receivers are like that :ugh:

15. johnson

johnson New Member

Name a few that's under $400.

16. MacAlert

MacAlert Maxima driver OT Supporter

I got an Onkyo HT780, 3 digital optical audio input 1 digital coaxial, 3 component video inputs. Bought it online from Circuit City for about $400.
    The speakers are kind of big...BUT it's a 7.1 setup with a massive sub (bear in mind that the speakers aren't THAT great but a receiver with that many optical inputs will run you around 400-500).

17. johnson

johnson New Member

Inputs is one thing, but what about sound quality?

Pioneer VSX-1015K for ~$400 (what ill be getting, or a Panasonic XR55K for $220...both have very good amps).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Ronin

Ronin Guest

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Onkyo_HT_S780_Home_Theater_System_Black,__9638423

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=2829007

i am pretty sure every Yamaha HTIB in the YHT series is loaded with a HTR series receiver, i could be wrong though

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Yamaha_YHT_360_Home_Theater_System,__7796884

thats a few, i really dont feel like looking more, so yeah, YHT series HTIBs should come with reg receivers, and Onkyo generally loads a regular receiver, my 3-4 year old Sony receiver im using right now came in a HTIB (its a temp before i get a RX-V2500) im not sure if sony really loads regular receivers anymore

and as much as I would LOVE to go to BB or Frys, look at the back of HTIB receivers, write down their model numbers, then price check them when I get home, I just dont have the time for such wonderful things

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2005
  19. MacAlert

MacAlert Maxima driver OT Supporter

For a room 9'X15', I think the Onkyo HTIB sounds good (well, for $400 for everything atleast). Now, Onkyo makes great receivers but for speakers not to sure. Again, if you are on a small budget, HTIB is enough.

20. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I've heard really good things about that pioneer model, I would proabably get it before I got the Panasonic.