Help transfering MP3's to another computer.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by superdeluxe, May 8, 2005.

1. superdeluxe

superdeluxe OT Supporter

Hello,

I just bought a new computer, and want to transfer my mp3's from the old computer to the new one. The problem is that my burner is fucked, so I cant burn any of the mp3's to disc.

I do have a Iriver 512mb flash drive, Would all I have to do is connect the USB cord to the new computer..and it will transfer the files?

fleh.

2. nappyjim

nappyjim New Member

You would need to put as much mp3s on that flash drive as possible then plug the flash drive into your new computer and transfer them. Continue the process till all are transferred.

Or if you have a router you can simply set the 2 machines up on the same network and transfer them that way.

Or you can take the hard drive from your old computer, hook it up as slave into your new computer and transfer the files that way.

3. superdeluxe

superdeluxe OT Supporter

Thanks..I think the flash drive is going to be easiest.!

4. superdeluxe

superdeluxe OT Supporter

Fucking Shit!

I cant upload mp3's from Iriver to new computer!

damnit

5. Urban2040

Urban2040 ^Not Me^

Networking is so much easier I think.

6. PRIME

PRIME New Member

If its not networked just slave your old drive.

7. superdeluxe

superdeluxe OT Supporter

I have no idea how to do any of the crossover/network stuff.

My old machine is Windows ME..new machine is Windows XP

Apparently I can upgrade something called UMS firmware..on my Iriver..to make it just like a USB storage device. I'm trying to do that as we speak..but I am having no luck..so if the crossover/network might be easier..Might go with that

I have about 12 gig in mp3's.

8. superdeluxe

superdeluxe OT Supporter

Looks like my best is going to be a direction Cable connection using parellel ports.

9. samm

samm Next in Line

Do the network route, transferring 12 GB via a parallel port will take forever. It's easy to do on my powerbook, but I don't know about Windows, sorry. If you can't figure that out just take the hard drive out of your old PC and install it in your new one to transfer the files.

10. Urban2040

Urban2040 ^Not Me^

Getting the network setup with Windows ME might be a little more work but it will still work fine. I would just hook both computers directly together with an ethernet cable and use the Home Networking Wizard on the XP computer. When your finished it will tell you you need to run the wizard on the other computers and will ask if you want to create a disk to use.

11. superdeluxe

superdeluxe OT Supporter

I believe my ethernet card on my Windows ME is fried (I have dsl..and could not log into anything..I called qwest...and they thought my ethernet card was fried..because I was getting dns errors up the ying yang). They then gave me a bunch of numbers to type in the URL (174.53.119.2) etc, and yahoo popped up right away.

So I dont think the ethernet connection is going to work between the two..because the window's ME computer cant connect or anything at all..even though DSL was fine.