HELP. There is something really wrong with my Taurus

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Tedrzz, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

First off I apologize this doesn't have anything to do with American Muscle or HP or Torque or anything, but there is something really wrong with my Taurus. It's a 2000, 133k miles.

I was driving today and I noticed the oil/engine/whatever it is temperature gauge was way past the red line. Later I smelled something sweet burning along with something rattling in the engine. So when I got home I got out of the car and heard something hissing so I opened up my hood. I couldn't find out where it was coming from specifically but I took a video so maybe it would help you guys out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jF_bmIuloo

Thanks guys.

2. cooly

cooly OT Supporter

Coolant leak from somewhere or a blown headgasket are my guesses. Check for any leaks from the hoses coming from the radiator, and the radiator itself. Check the coolant recovery tank (clear plastic, square shaped) and see if it has any coolant in it. Check the oil to see if it's milky. If it is milky you have a blown head gasket, but you probably just have a leak from a hose or the radiator.

3. Smelly-Kitten

Smelly-Kitten Dept. of Redundancy Department *Side Pipes

If you blew a headgasket the exhaust would turn all types of colors and the car would run very obviously wrong - sputtering n such. If you broke a return hose from the back of the block then there'd be coolant (the sweet smell) dripping down and making a puddle. I'd also check the coolant overflow tank to make sure it's up to level. Also it may be a faulty thermostat, although it wouldn't be making that noise, the noise could just a result of it being way too hot. See if it makes that noise when cold.

4. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

So basically I should check to see if there are any puddles under my car and if so I probably have a leak in my radiator? I hope I didn't blow a gasket.

5. Smelly-Kitten

Your radiator is likely fine. If there's a puddle chances are it's a hose or a return line that is busted or just got unconnected.

6. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

So here is an update..After class I looked in my coolant tank and there was nothing in there. Fuck. So I went to the store and bought 3 gallons of coolant/antifreeze mix and put it in the car. The good news is that when I drive I haven't heard that rattling noise AND the coolant temp. gauge doesn't skyrocket anymore. The bad news is that when I stop at stoplights all sort of steam/smoke comes out of my hood. I did spill some of the coolant when I was filling it, is there any possible way that the steam is just the coolant evaporating off the hot engine??:sadwavey:

7. Smelly-Kitten

It took 3 gallons? Did you stop at the line? And the steam/vapor is normal if you spilled any.

3 gallons is a crap load, if you were that low i hope you didn't warp the heads.

8. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

Fuck fuck fuck fuck. Yeah I thought 1 gallon was going to be enough but after one gallon I couldn't even see a drop in the tank, I think it all went into the engine. I didn't put exactly 3 gallons in there but I only have a little bit left of the third gallon. So somewhere around 2.75 gallons of coolant, but still I thought that was a lot too, and I don't know shit about cars.

9. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

So it looks like worse case scenerio. I came home, ate dinner and after about an hour of letting my car sit I went and looked in the coolant tank and it was empty. Something weird though..There was a white piece of plastic in their the last time I looked at it that looked to be either a measurement guide or some sort of support..anyway now I think about it I don't think it was there anymore. Instead there is this white foamy shit everywhere inside of the tank...could that thing have melted?

How much do you think I'm gonna be looking at in repairs?