Help The Newb?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Shigy, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Shigy

Shigy Hip-Hop Connoisseur

Could you guys explain how wattage and shit works?

I understand that the amp has to be able to power the speakers/subwoofers and shit, but I really don't know anything else...

2. 04

04 Guest

wattage is actually called 'power'. The unit for power is watts though ;)

The amplifier output power is simply how much power the amplifier can put out within a given distortion threshold. For instance, an amplifier may put out 100 watts with .1% distortion, but may put out 150 watts with 10% distortion.

If you want to match up a subwoofer to an amplifier, you need to find a subwoofer who's nominal impedence (measured in ohms) is rated to be stable on the amplifier you have. You also need to know the maximum output power of the amplifier, as well as the 'rated' maximum input power for the woofer. The manufacturer rating is NOT a requirement, but usually a safe guideline. For a new user, I wouldnt usually reccomend geting an amplifier that is rated 2x or more than the manufacturers rated power input, but it really depends.

What exactly do you have questions about though? Im kinda rambling here :o

3. Shigy

Shigy Hip-Hop Connoisseur

Well, I'm just wondering what numbers I'm gonna have to be matching up between the subwoofer and the amp.

BTW thanks above.