help sportbike newb

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by theronald, Feb 28, 2009.

1. theronald

theronald New Member

i want to get my first sportbike but have never drivin one and have no idea what i can handle. i used to own a harley sportster a few years back and thats my only streetbike. i like the yamaha r1. is that to much bike to start out on? i dont want to get into something i cant handle. is the power like uncontrolable? thanks.

2. Matt550

Matt550 New Member

Im a newb also. Been riding for 1 year. I started on a yamaha 600. There is no way I would touch a liter bike. I have no business on one.

I would say its not a good idea to start on a bike that big.

3. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

too much bike

4. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i really hate when people say "too much bike" or "start on a 250-600cc."

seriously, a person with common sense can start on a zx14 or hayabusa.

my first bike was a kx80 dirtbike and my first road bike was an 1100cc yamaha that was my dads that i learned to ride when i was 15. both of those were deadly fast, but i learned to be responsible.

5. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

Even a 600 is a lot of bike to start on, putting down 110+hp at the wheel off the showroom floor. I guess a few retards will suggest literbikes, but I would recommend a 600 at most.

6. swedishstar

swedishstar Active Member

I don't think you can say you learned to be responsible on that bike. You came into the situation with an understanding of responsibility. Of course, everything is a case by case scenario...

If one is not responsible and do not understand action/reaction (consequences), one should not even be on a middle weight.

I see where you're coming from though. The 1000's are a little more linear than the 600's, which in my opinion makes them easier to ride in day to day traffic.

7. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

the best answer for a beginner is get something that is comfortable. maybe he doesn't like winding the piss out of a 600 to get going.... maybe he's better with a VTwin for torque... who knows

8. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

Or they can kill themselves.
    Newbies have no sense of throttle or clutch control. You rev up a hayabusa and release the clutch too fast, you'll be on your back faster than you can say "FFFFFFUUUUUUU!"
    Some people here learned on 1100's. Whoop-dee-fucking-doo. No one cares about your background.
    This is a guy asking what a good beginner sportsbike is.
    To the OP:
    Since you rode a Harley, you know probably have an idea how to ride.
    You could get a R1, but you may find it might be too much of a bike for you.
    When you are riding the twisties, and the rear-end is stepping out on you, it's a bit scary.
    You may find a 600 to be just as enjoyable, if not more.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  9. 7960

7960 New Member

you can kill yourself on a 250 just as quick.

10. theronald

theronald New Member

i want something i can control. having never driven a big sportbike i have no idea what the power is like. originally i was looking at a 600 and a friend who has a 1000 told me im better off on a big bike because the 600's are uncomfortable and dont ride as well as the big bikes. i was also looking at the aprilia and the buell. but from what i have read the jap bikes are really the best.

11. mtnbikekid08

You can kill yourself just as quick in a metro as a bugatti, but the metro is much slower, and has far less power.

Theronald, I don't think your "friend" is giving you good advice.
    The 1000's being more comfortable than 600's is total bullshit. You will need to go to a dealer and sit on the different bikes, and see what you think about them.
    You may consider the Triumph 675 Daytona as well. It's like right in the middle, because of its three cylinder motor.

12. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

zx14 is more comfortable than any crotch rocket i ever sat on

i'd take that for the comfort

13. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

you can die on a 250 just as fast as a 1000. Discipline and respect for the liter bike is a MUST! That said, an R1 is fine. My wife went from a gsxr 600 to a gsxr 1000 in one summer.

14. mtnbikekid08

But then again any standard-seating sportsbike is. The Versys, the SV650, the FZ1, etc etc. All going to be more comfortable.

15. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

bullshit...
    whens the last time you saw a 250 hitting 160+ mph :hsugh:

16. mtnbikekid08

Or flip over backwards because you dropped the clutch while revving the engine?

17. 7960

7960 New Member

the same day I saw a liter bike going 160+ mph.

never.

18. igotyofire

igotyofire New Member

i started on a 1000cc bike, get whatever you want except a ducati supersport....which you would probably surely drop with its unconvential body position & a zx14 & hayabusa are mangeable but i wouldn't want that much weight to manage unless your a big guy

19. igotyofire

igotyofire New Member

please dont say that....that is highly unlikely for anyone who is responsible.....this happens more with someone who sits down on the motorcycle for the first time...like a friend! If he is serious about riding a motorcycle and responsible he will spend some time learning how soon the clutch releases & grabs & being gentle with the gas before even really riding, once you pass that point, somthing like that should never happen. The fact is if you dump the clutch on any sport bike at reasonable revs its going to flip over backwards or atleast throw you off, and there is no reason anyone should ever dump the clutch on the motorcycle, its slipped even when drag racing.

7960 most people have no idea who you are as a person, your personality, how responsible you are, so every idiot on the internet says start out on a 250cc so you dont kill yourself because it is quite likely your just another punk kid who is going to kill themselves. whichever is the case only you know yourself and how you react when given a high level of responsiblity. If you think to yourself your the type of person who likes to push limits & learn the hardway in any aspects of your life then somthing more tame is for you....if youve treated everything in your life with the upmost respect & have learned to be patient, then get whatever you want. Ive known others who have started out on 1000cc bikes as well......people say sure you might progress slower, but they have no idea what your personal riding goals are anyways. everyone acts like anyone who gets a sport is going to do canyon runs frequently in which case a less powerful bike might bee a learning advantage.

The fact that matt50 says he wont touch a liter bike after a year of experience is just retarded.......they operate the same as any smaller bike and he should have no problem riding one down the road. Its not some ungodly machine that requires special talents...the skill to ride one is exactly the same as your 600.....the difference is going to be a slightly heavier bike with a different powerband.

The other thing i noticed is i think some people are a bit jealous that someone can start out of a new & sometimes nicer bike then alot of other people are able to afford starting on. As for starting out with an R1.....well id just have to say take it slow. The way i did it was to stick to my residential neighborhood the first 2 days & just practiced shifting and down shifting. I then went to a hill to pratice taking off from a stop without rolling back....i stalled quite a few times even on my liter bike. I also practiced doing some quick stops gradually getting a feel for the brakes in an empty parking lot. Only then did start to slowly venture my way into more busy streets. & after a little more then a year of riding i have 18,000 miles with no accidents or drops of my bike. to be honest my bike is not as exciting as it was when first got it and at times i do want a zx14 or busa after riding a few of them. nonetheless im glad i didn't get a 600 though because i would have been bored with it more earlier on....however i may have been a quicker rider in the canyons.......but like i said earlier nobody here knows what your goal is as a rider.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  20. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

fair enough... how about 115 mph...

21. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

too much bike if = you're an idiot who tries to ride the shit out of it reving it up and dropping the clutch etc.

assuming you are a reasonable person who can take things easy until you are used to the horsepower you should be fine starting with a monster bike.

but yeah if you're an idiot that can't control the throttle then start with a pee-wee.

(if you want speed get the bigger sport bike and just take your time getting used to it and ride like your driving miss daisy for awhile)

22. swedishstar

I think we all are in consensus that you can handle the bike; the power will take a little easing into. Start with what you want to start with man. A 600 will be really ballsy (just not down low)... just not like a litre bike.

You may like the FZ1. It's an upright bike, but still a sporty position. It has the previous gen R1 engine. Is good for 145 hp, has power down low, and costs less than a 600 race rep. It still screams (around town easily outrunning a 600), it has inverted forks that are fully adjustable, blah blah blah. Check it out. My dealership has a brand new 07 sitting, for like 7 g's. I don't know where you're located.
    I just bought an FZ1 myself.

23. swedishstar

24. mtnbikekid08

Actually, if you read the thread you would have noticed that l337pilot said anyone with common sense can start on a Hayabusa or a ZX14. However it doesn't matter how much common sense you have, you can still panic. Go to a MSF course, and you'll see it happen.
    I was not referring to the OP, who obviously has some experience.
    And don't bash Matt because he doesn't necessarily want a liter bike. Those bikes have a ton of power, sometimes too much.

As for bored with a 600 early on? Well if you're getting bored with a 600, you might as well get a hayabusa and go to the drag strip, because that's all that you should be doing. :fawk:

25. liquidPoop

liquidPoop .........................

I'm a noob myself but are liter bikes like drag cars or something? because I dont see why someone would get a top end sports vehicle and not wanna somewhat learn all aspects of the vehicle. Except if it were meant to be a one trick pony like a drag focused car, etc. Like I wouldnt buy a ferrari and just drag race it and never learn corners.

I dont really understand this argument. It seems like the reason people get those are cause they dont want to work their way up with buying and selling progressively bigger bikes and possibly losing money and/or they want to finance cause they cant outright buy. I mean the only negative I can see for noobs starting out smaller is the money issue. :dunno:

Like I know the threadstarter has been riding but for beginners I dont see how anyone can recommend starting off on a bigger bike unless they have money issues. I mean what other downsides are there? Sure anyone can learn on any bike with the right mindset but seems like more advantages to starting smaller than bigger.