Help Something got fried on my comp!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Willey2cool, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

I was opening up Itunes and then poof the comp shut off and that aweful smell of fried electronics came out. I think its the Hard drive but im not sure, all the fans still turn on, the cpu fan, vid card fan, fan at the back of the case. The light comes on in the front when i push the button to start it but the second light that shows when the HD is working(i think thats what that light is for) doesnt come on. Doesnt boot too BIOS, no beeps the screen just stays blank

So is it the HD or maybe the Mobo? anyone got any more tests to try before i order a new parts
    Its a Seagate 180gb IDE drive, about 2 years old

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

probably a busted cap.

Open it up and take a look.

3. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

all the capacitors appear to be fine. do you really think its the mobo? wouldnt the CPU fan be stopped if the mobo was fried? If the mobos bad then i will probably order a new CPU, mobo and vid card. Otherwise ill just order a new HD. Would it be ok to plug the HD into another computer to test it?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

unplug the hdd and see if it boots. try resetting cmos.

5. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

I unplugged the HD, comp still didnt boot to BIOS, tried resetting the CMOS jumper, tried taking the battery out of the mobo to reset it, took out my expansion cards and the ram to see if it would beep, still nothing. Took off the CPU heatsink to check the CPU, it looks fine. Any other ideas

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

check the psu, otherwise probably dead mobo.

7. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

PSU is relativly new, about 2 months. Wouldnt the Fans not spin and the lighst be off if the PSU was dead?

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no, they could still spin. a psu is more than just a single rail. As where the leds are probably using 5v and the fans are most certainly 12v, the cpu requires 3.3v and although a fan and led can deal with dirty, inconsistant, and low-current power these all spell certain death for components such as the mobo.

And what psu is it? If you list some roswell, supermax, or antec piece of shit then I waill laugh at you hardcore.

9. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

i can take the laughter to get it fixed, i know theres a lot of biased opinions on this board about whats a good brand of PSU, its an Antec Tru power 550w. i suppose i can swap in the PSU unit from another comp

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well try a diff psu. The tp550 is one that i have always had problems with. horrible psu. If that doesn't fix it, i'd say bad mobo.

11. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

ok i switched in a new PSU, didnt work. Took My HD and the PSU and put it into a different computer and they work. So then its definetly the Motherboard. Oh well i was planning an upgrade to dual core anyway

12. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Yeah, the True Power 550's did have some trouble.

I don't know who made them for Antec, but I haven't heard of any lemons with the True Power Trios that are made by Seasonic.

13. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Damn those motherboards :mad:

14. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

So what motherboard model is it anyway?

15. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

It was a Chaintech. I was trying to save money on my first build when i built it but it lasted me two years and i never had any problems with it until now

Also i have another question, i can just hook up my old HD and put the Windows XP disk in and have it do the Repairs and recovery option and it will start up and i can install all the new chipset drivers right? I probably will do a full reinstall of windows XP but i would like to backup all my files

16. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yes, that will work. Technically, you don't even need to repair windows, but without replacing the HAL (the thing all the drivers plug into), there's no guarantee that the drivers for the new motherboard will play nice.

17. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

Right so i got the parts, installed everything and updated the drivers, runs great and is really fast. Except when i try to start a game, it gets all blocky and the screen goes off and on. im assuming that thats because i need more than 550w from my PSU?

Also ive never done an Intel CPU before, im guessing thats some kind of Thermal paste Pad thats on the bottom of the Heatsink thats going to melt and spread around when the CPU gets hot enough for the first time? The last CPU i did was an AMD and it had a small square of thermal paste with a piece of plastic over it on the bottom of the heatsink. or do all new Heatsinks come with this pad now?

Its a new Intel Quad Core with 2gb of ram and an 8800GTS 320mb, and yes i connected the 6 pin power connector to the Vid card and updated the drivers

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  18. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Did you install ALL the drivers? Not just the video card driver?

19. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

yea i put the Motherboard CD in and installed everything off there too, other than that theres no other drivers to install. Its a new Gigabyte P35 Board.

*edit* i went up to a local computer shop to bounce some ideas off them. he thinks its more the video card than the PSU. He recommended a couple things to me. Im going to take out and uninstall my sound card to see if theres a driver conflict there with the onboard soundcard. Im also going to try to switch my Vid card and PSU into another comp to see if they work there. and if worse comes to worse i can take it up to them to have them look at it or do a new install of WinXP

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  20. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Were you using the Chaintech VNF4/ultra? That's the one I have right now and it is still going strong after years. :x:

21. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

yeap that was the one. Never had any problems with it until now.

I tried unistalling the sound card drivers and took the card out of the comp, still is freezing up on games. I think im going to reinstall Windows, i havent done it since i first built the computer 2 years ago and i might as well do it