MIL Help soldiers call home during the holidays...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GreenMonster, Nov 15, 2005.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Hey guys, saw this and posted a few days ago in the Political forum and they suggested I re-post it here. I think this is such a great program, and easy for anyone to do, even if you don't have much money to spend. :)

A Soldiers Best Gift: A Voice From Home The Christmas Holidays are around the corner. For most it is a happy time of year, for others it can be a season of depression. Can you imagine what the Holidays must be like for the soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan or even out of harm’s way in some remote corner of the world? For the soldier in the War Zone living day to day in the shadow of death it must be hell. For this country’s far flung defenders the best Christmas gift is surely the gift of voices from home from the people who live every moment in anxiety for their soldier’s return.

There is a way that every American can give those who defend them that gift. Log in to the Army and Air Force Exchange Services (AAFES) web site and click on “help our troops call home” logo and purchase a Military Exchange Global Prepaid Phone card that can provide up to two hours of time. These cards can then be sent to the Soldier, Sailor, Marine or Airman of your choice, or simply distributed to any service member through the American Red Cross, Air Force Aid Society, Fisher House or the USO. Last year Americans sent more than 42,000 of these cards. Our home has already logged in, and we hope you do too. (Source: Dallas Blog)

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Good stuff. :bigok:

A side note: AAFES sells AT&T calling cards. Those don't work at all of the FOBs in Iraq (although I think they do work at the larger bases). There is another carrier named Segovia that sells calling cards for their voice-over-IP service that works at non-AT&T locations. The Segovia service is dirt cheap, and pretty much anyone that wants to make a phone call could call everyone they know for the price of a hamburger.

But the AAFES gift cards are definitely needed at the AT&T-serviced locations. AT&T claims to give the soldiers a discount, but the prices they pay equate to telephone rapage.

3. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

Very cool I will have to do this :bigok:

4. HoodRich

HoodRich Professional Street Nigga OT Supporter