A&P Help shooting road course event..

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by crazybenf, May 22, 2007.

1. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

I shot this on sport/action mode with a 350d using the kit lens. I'm a total photography noob, so be nice..

The vipers on the backstretch are doing 140-160mph, but the shot stopped the wheels, didnt blur the background, etc.. so each shot looks still, not motion.

How do I get the effect of blurred background/wheels?

:o I know I'm going to look back at this post and laugh in a few weeks of practice, but thats the best way I know to describe it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of those were action shots, not with the car still like they look. :hs:

2. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Action mode is a high shutter speed, it's made to freeze fast action (i.e. a basketball player doing a slam dunk.) If you want more blur just put your camera on shutter priority and slow it down. :dunno:

3. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

I'll have to try it out then, thanks. Like I said, I'm a total noob with this stuff. That seems to make sense though. :cool:

4. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

The general rule of thumb to determine an approximate shutter speed is 1/speed of vehicle, to get good background blur. When I shoot autoX, I'll use shutter speeds of anywhere 1/60-1/100. I'll start at 1/100 to get keeper shots, then drop it down to 1/60. Cars are generally doing less than 60 mph. If they're doing 130+, you can use shutter speeds of 1/125-1/250 and a decent amount of blur.

Use AI servo autofocus or use a prefocus spot and pan - move the camera with the car and hit the shutter release. It'll take some practice but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty straightforward.

I'll use the pre-focus method when the cars are consistent with their driving lines. The AI servo focus method can be inconsistent, especially on the entry level bodies with their inferior AF system. AI servo shows it's weakness when the cars are moving towards/away from you.

You'll also want to adjust your ISO accordinly, depending on lighting and if you're using any filters. I'll generally try and keep the aperture around f/10, +/- 2 f-stops. Shoot in TV mode and choose your shutter speed. Adjust your ISO to keep it around f/10. You'll want to mess around with ISO to adjust your aperture if you want any different DOF effects.

5. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

There's a lot to learn about motorsports photography. Read up on panning and pre-focusing, here's an okay place to start:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Motorsports-photography

6. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

Thanks for the info & link. :cool: Best forum on OT.