Help setting up jobs in backup exec

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IDx, Sep 24, 2007.

1. IDx

IDx Elite User

'm having trouble creating/configuring backup jobs/templates for our satellite offices.

we are running backupexec 11D

we need to follow a standard sox rotation scheme, with two sets of nightly incremental (2 weeks total, one per week) four full weeklys that rotate with an overwrite period of four weeks, then the 12 monthlys, quarterly, and yearly.

the problem i'm having is the tape drive is limited to 20/40 and with our user folders and pst files i'm having trouble running the incremental backups because of pst files changing/being modified.. they are about 1-2 gigs and with a handful of users the incremental can turn into a great number of tapes very quickly.

that being said, I thought i would be able to create the Job policy for all the jobs, then create two lists of backups one with all the server data, and one only with the user data, then associate the policy to the file selections and set the priority so that the system stuff gets backed up first, then the user data second.

the problem/situation im running into is how to setup the overwrite periods as well as the media sets..

ideally i would like to have the policy's so everything is automated with rules, but exclude the user data during the weekly incrementals.. is there a better way to accomplish this?

:hsd: