Help setting up an internet cafe

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by pyehac, Feb 17, 2007.

1. pyehac

pyehac if she's old enough to cross the street, she's old

Right now, I work at a computer repair shop/internet cafe. Our setup consists of two desktops with XP; one with Vista (which I'll be downgrading soon); and one with a live CD of linux (which I'll install XP on soon). The current XP desktops has a networked printer that is shared from one of those computers (no dedicated printer server) but I want to lock the two XP computers down so that no one can clear the history, or do anything but surf the internet. I used Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit but that was too restrictive as it didn't run the printer drivers for the networked printer.

I just want to minimize the start menu down to a log off and internet explorer, while disabling the right click, clearing of history, and of course installation of programs (and viruses and spyware for that matter).

can OT help?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

you can do a lot of what you're trying to do by creating a guest account with limited privelages and disabling the start menu and right click stuff with group policy. It would be through the local policy.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I don't usually recommend Linux, but for what you're doing you don't need Windows. Get Ubuntu linux and rig it up so Firefox starts automatically and can't be closed.

4. Freonthewhite

Freonthewhite FrEoN OT Supporter

:werd:

It's the easiest way although there's a bit of a learning curve involved, so just sit down with it one afternoon and play around with it, you're not gonna break it and worst case scenario just format it

5. pyehac

But the computers has XP home.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

7. pyehac

A computer is already running a live version of ubuntu, but literally no one touches it (even when the other computers are taken). If that wasn't a problem, then I'd gladly bust out my linux skills and install it on all of the machines.

8. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

Maybe a skin that makes it look like Windows will help. All they do is browse, right?