Help! SATA RAID setup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Subie Driver, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

I'm building a new Media Center computer, and I'm having a hell of a time with the RAID. I have an 80GB IDE drive that has the OS installed on it, and I'm now trying to set up a pair of 250GB WD SATA in a RAID array. I ran the Intel RAID setup, and have created an array that the Intel software can see and edit, but Windows doesn't see it at all, so I can't use it. And I did set up the IDE in the BIOS to a SATA array. I tried setting it to P-ATA and S-ATA, didn't make a difference. What am I doing wrong? Is it possibly the mobo bios? Hope not, since Asus website is all messed up, and I can't get the BIOS updates. Here's my setup:

Windows XP Media Center
    WD 80GB IDE (10GB partition for OS, 70GB for apps)
    1GB PC3200 DDR RAM (2x512 Kingston matched sticks)
    250GBx2 WD SATA
    Asus P4P800 SE mobo
    LiteOn Dual Layer DVD burner

Any help would be great, this is driving me bat-shit! I've never don'ea RAID before, so I have no idea what to do next.

2. GoChris

GoChris 11 seconds

windows will need the drivers installed for the raid.

then right click my computer, hit MANAGE, then go to disk management

the disk is probably there but either needs to be initialized then formatted or just formatted and assigned a drive letter.

3. Subie Driver

I thought I had the RAID drivers installed. I'll try the MANAGE thing, and see if that works. Or maybe I don't have the drivers installed, I'm so confused and frustrated right now, I've been working on the RAID array since last night.

4. Subie Driver

GoChris, you are my FUCKING HERO! I've never used (or even noticed) that MANAGE thing before, but it did the trick! I assigned the drive a letter, shuffled my other letters around to be what I wanted, and am formatting my one huge 500GB SATA RAID array right now. Gonna take forever, but better than the stroke I was working on from frustration!

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Man... I honestly feel like putting RAID 1 on any PC thats useful. I guess for a media center RAID 0 makes sense though, eh?

6. Subie Driver

Yeah, I just wanted it to see those two drives as 1 big drive to record video onto. RAID 1 is where it would see the 2 250GB hds as 1 250GB hd, right? So everything is redudndant on both drive? Yeah, if I lose one of these drives, no big deal, it's not crucial data, so I wanted maximum capacity. Just finished setting everything up, enough room for almost 175 hours of recording on best quality :big grin:

7. GoChris

GoChris 11 seconds

glad I could help, I'll be here all week!

8. Subie Driver

Looks like you're pretty new here, and don't have a sub yet. Want a 3 month? I seriously thought I was either going to smash my brand new Gyration MC remote/mouse/keyboard on my brand new computer out of frustration, or hold it in and die of a stroke or heart attack from the stress. Let me know, I'll buy you a 3 month sub, let you enjoy OTAH as a little reward:)

9. Subie Driver

Fuck that, I'm not waiting around for you to answer!

Enjoy the Orb, and thanks again! Recorded my first shows on the array tonight, works like a charm!