Help removing smoke smell

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by amill94, Aug 19, 2008.

1. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Alright guys,

This isn't my car or a car I'm going to buy. I am getting a new work vehicle, but it was used for a few months by a smoker. It's a chevy express work van. Anyway, the floors up front and the back are like a rubberized industrial material. The ceiling in the cab and seats are fabric. I took everything that wasn't bolted or wired to the vehicle and threw it out. Vacuumed everything, sprayed the floor with a deodorizer and cleaner. I cleaned the dash, windows, and used an odor eliminating cleaner on the seats and headliner. I then sprayed degreaser all over the back floor and sprayed it out with a house. I also wiped everything down back there with cleaners. The smell is hardly there...but just enough to know my hard work didn't completely get rid of it. I've read that detail shops can use an an ozone machine or something, but do they really work? I also heard about using vinegar and water to wipe down the upholstery and other parts. Any other tactics you guys can recommend?

2. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Ozone works. I'd imagine as a standalone service it's pretty cheap $20-$50 as there's very minimal labor involved.

But over generation of ozone can lead to nausea and headaches, and some shops don't follow instructions. Drive with the windows down and leave the doors open for a while afterward.

3. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Are the ozone machines in shops pretty much the same as those ionic breeze things for homes? Can't you just use that?

4. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Different. Ozone generator removes and replaces air in a confined environment with air from an external source. Most of the machines I've used operate with the filter/pump plumbed into window on the vehicle blocked with an air tight foam seal pre drilled for their hoses.

Set and forget it using a built in timer, you're basically renting the bay and a $500-$1500 machine for a few hours- no supervision necessary.

5. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

nice, so in theory, will this also take care of any issues with smoke smell in the venting? I am having the cabin filter changed today. I really don't know how to go about cleaning the venting.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

2nd the ozone generator suggestion.

You also cleaned the headliner, right?

7. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

+1 for the headliner, easiest place for smell to be attached to and hardest to clean. A cheaper alternative to the ozone generator would be a Big D Fire Odor Control fogger. $8-$12 and you can do it yourself.

8. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Definitely did, I went over that a few times.

9. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Zep's Smoke Eliminator at Home Depot.

Best 6 bucks you'll ever spend.

Oh yeah..........I'm back.