help re: dreamcast and backups

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nicebarrel, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicebarrel

nicebarrel Guest

i read on another message board that only some dreamcasts (i think those manufactured before some date like october 2000/2001?) will play backups? is this ture? does anyone know anything about this? reason is i'm thinking about getting in on the $50 dc and don't want to end up getting one that won't play backups.

thanks

2. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

I think that it has to do with recording speed and media..

The darker color CD's sometimes have problems especially recorded at 12x or higher.

Since the faster the speed, the shallower the pits are recorded and even older DC's like mine have problems if recorded at 12x or higher.

Stick with silver or light colored media and write speed at 8x or under.

So far...I've had no problems with ANY of my backups.

100cd's, silver colored for $26 !! can't be wrong!!!

You should have no problems with the new ones!!

Mad

3. Lava Joe

Lava Joe Guest

Supposedly any DC's manufactured after 10/2000 won't play CDr's. But, I don't believe any that were made after the magic date were released in the US. Sega announced they were making changes to the DC right around the same time they said they wee going to discontinue it. There are two known models that definetely don't work, one is a special Hello Kitty DC, the other was some kind of sports bundle, both of which were only released in Japan.

You are able to see when it was manufactured by looking through the hole on the back of the box. If you can't find an earlier model, try looking around for used models. EB was selling new for 70 bucks, but when I went to buy they were out. They had used for 40 with two controllers and a memory card. You can also try pawn shops.

4. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.