Help! Question about javascript

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FireIce, Jun 3, 2004.

1. FireIce

FireIce New Member

I can't get javascript to work right. Whenever I click on a link that is supposed to open a page in a new window nothing happens and I get a little message that says 'script error' in the left hand corner of my browser. My pop up blocker is disabled. How can I fix this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Maybe post some code?? And a little bit more of what the error says...

3. FireIce

FireIce New Member

That's all it says. :dunno:

4. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

So this is not javascript that you yourself wrote? You're just trying to click a link on some web page and it gives you an error?

If it's code you wrote, post the code and I could probably take a look at it. If it's just some web page you're trying to click a link on, post that so we can try it ourselves... More likely than not, if it's an error you're getting on some web page, they probably wrote bad javascript and you're not the only one who gets the error...

Also, if you're using Internet Explorer, you can usually see exactly what the error is. Is there something in the bottom left corner that says something like "Page loaded but with errors"?

5. FireIce

FireIce New Member

No, it's not script I wrote. Sorry for the confusion. It happens on any link I click on that's supposed to open the link in a new window. Like if I clicked 'go advanced' to reply here and then on the smilies if i click 'more' nothing happens. For some reason IE doesn't work on here but I use MYIE2. I also tried using Netscape and it doesn't work with it eaither. I don't get any message in the corner. The page doesn't even open so I don't get a message that says 'page loaded with errors'. Thanks again.

6. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Hmm... I've never even heard of MYIE2... I'll try downloading it and see if maybe it could be some kind of setting in there, but if it isn't, I don't know what to tell ya... :dunno:

7. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

OK, well I just downloaded it (it looks kinda cool, actually... but I'll probably stick with Mozilla Firefox...) I did the same thing you tried, click on Go Advanced and then clicking the More key for more smilies... It opened that new window as a tab for me. Is it not doing that for you? I can't see anything in the options to configure javascript except for the "Allow scripts" under Download in the options...

I'll try on other sites that have javascript popups to see what happens...

8. FireIce

FireIce New Member

Nope, it won't open the smilies in a new tab. I looked and I have the 'allow scripts' box checked too. I just recently started having this problem. Before it always worked. I don't know what I did to make it stop working.

9. FireIce

FireIce New Member

Also I've discovered that the 'Show Spoiler' button doesn't work. Not sure if the problems are related.

10. use a mainstream browser or you'll never get full style and script compatibility. deal with whatever issues prevent IE from running.

11. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

I could be wrong, but as far as I know, the Show Spoiler button uses javascript, so they would definitely be related problems. Are you able to run any other browser on your system besides MYIE2? You said you can't run IE at all? You might try downloading Mozilla Firefox or Opera, just to see if you still have problems with javascript. If javascript doesn't seem to work with any browser, then I'm not sure what the problem could be...

12. FireIce

FireIce New Member

Ok, everything seems to be working now. WTF?

13. FireIce

FireIce New Member

OK, the more smileys thing IS working but the 'show spoiler' button isn't. :confused: