A&P Help purchasing a camera..

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by -desi-pari-, Dec 18, 2008.

1. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

HI, so i've decided i want to purchase a canon, as i'm new to photography, i wanna start off with something cheap but better than my sony cybershot 5.1mp.

These are the details for the type of camera i'm looking for.

[​IMG]

The pictures taken with this camera turned out amazing. I just can't seem to find a decent price for it.

Any help guys, know wherei can get cheap canons?

2. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

get a 20D instead.

3. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

What does 20d mean? I have absolutely no idea.

4. Girth

The camera you posted is a Canon 10D, which is and old model. The 20D is old also, but still somewhat up to date

5. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

And what is the highest mp i can purchase, i wanted atleast upto 14mp.

6. Girth

don't worry about MPs... thats not a big issue.

7. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

So can you please tell me what the important bits are. Whenever you have time, i'd appreciate it.

8. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

Why are you set on Canon?

9. UnaBomber

UnaBomber Closed-minded pig-headed racist xenophobe OT Supporter

oh look an attention whore looking for a camera...

10. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

I dunno it's just been a favourite for quite some time, i've never actually had pictures taken with a Nikon or any other brand to be honest.

What do you recommend for a starter?

11. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

lolwtf @ av.

12. Mighty_Zeus

Mighty_Zeus Guest

Way to be helpful douche, this is not the main.

I told you that already. MP is not the end all. All you'll end up doing is spending a lot of money on a camera that is going to give you BIG terrible pictures.

Listen to what these guise have to say.

20D is an 8 MP Body, details in this LINK , take a look what is listed there and you will have a lot of questions I am sure.

What are you interested in shooting? That is going to determine what kind of glass you will want to get. Glass, being the lenses, are a FAR more important element than the body will ever be. Best you realize that as soon as possible.

You are going to want a Speedlight as well, since I recall that you were interested in portrait stuff. Since you are dead set on Canon for some reason you'll have to ask the Canon crew what a good entry level speedlight is.

13. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

Both Nikon and Canon make great starter DSLR's. If you're serious about getting into it, go out and handle them to see which brand "feels" better to you. Then buy a used one and read the FAQ in this forum.

Buying a fancy, expensive camera is not going to make you automatically take better pictures.

14. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

It's easy. Go down to Ritz and play with all the cameras they have. The 10D is an old model.

Just because someone took good pictures with their DSLR doesn't mean you will take good pictures. You could give me your old cybershot and I'll give you my D300 and I bet my pictures will be better.

It's not all about equipment :hs:

Either way, go out and feel and shoot a bunch of cameras and find out what you like best.

15. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

Zeus - Thanks for the chat on msn i wasn't really concentrating much yesterday. This post is helpful. Thing is i don't have a certain criteria, i will be taking all sorts of pictures, portraits, landscape, glamorous, parties weddings. I guess it will be more for personal use as i start off and i'll just build up a portfolio with some of the photos. This is just for practise i want to get into glamour at a later stage.

Wheezer - Do you think Ebay is trustworthy?

Fusion - What's Ritz? I'm from England.

Aha so that means my cybershot could take good pictures?

16. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Go to a local camera store.

Yes your Sony can take nice pictures.

[​IMG]

This was taken with a Cybershot 5.1mp

17. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

Pictures like that are nice yes, but once they're zoomed in they're pretty crap. I think i still need to learn how to use that i have no idea how to change settings.

18. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Zoomed in?

You mean cropped?

How often are you blowing up pictures larger than 5x7? Probably not very often...

Most of my prints are 5x7 or smaller and anything else is on the web at 800x600.

19. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

Can i show you an example of what i mean?

20. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

Do you enjoy photography or do you just want to take nice pictures? If you truly enjoy it, you should be able to use that cybershot until you've reached it's limitations. Then move up.
    Just like anything else. You can be a decent golfer with cheap clubs, but expensive clubs won't have you competing with Tiger Woods.

21. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

I enjoy it, this is why i want to get into it. I've been around places taking nice shots of sunsets, beautiful scenery but this is why i decided it was time to get a new camera, i'm just not happy with the quality at the moment.

I guess i should look for photography tutorials online.

22. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

Thankyou guys, this thread is very informative.

23. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

If you ever post a photo in here asking for constructive criticism, you will get torn apart. BUT every single thing said to you will stick in your mind and you will not do it next time you are out shooting. The next set of pictures you post will be noticeably better. OTAP is extremely critical but I love it and it always helps as long as I take it with a grain of salt.

24. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

I haven't posted any photography pictures as of yet but yes crticism will help surely. I just needed advice on what is the best camera for me.

25. 1.8

1.8 Guest

Maybe if you stopped fucking arguing with everyone and listened you could learn something.