::HELP:: ::POST UR PICS:: <<Quiet PC>>

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by OniMinion, May 27, 2009.

1. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

I am building my next PC this June. I am too old to have a glowing case with, LED fans, cold-cathode lights, and any other rubbish that doesn’t help my machine run the newest games fast. More importantly, I’m going to output this PC to my Home Theater system. Therefore, I am planning on building a computer that is completely quiet (without the use of water-cooling). So far, my Core i7 920 will be cooled with the Thermalright IFX-14 (thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu/ifx-14_intel_bp/product_cpu_cooler_ifx-14-intel.html ). This heat sink will be equipped with one Scythe 120mm fan (scythe-usa.com/product/acc/002/sflex_detail.html ). I also plan on replacing all other 120mm case fans with the Scythe 120mm due to their performance and resounding reviews on being so quiet. I’m putting all of this gear in an Antec P182 case (antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NQ== ).

Now that you know my direction, here are my questions (it’s a list):

Has anyone in OT community every suspended their hard drives from bungees? (silentpcreview.com/article109-page1.html ) The idea here is that you hard drive can’t vibrate your case when seeking or writing information to the disks. This link is the best looking set up ( silentpcreview.com/article8-page2.html ). I’ve also read a lot of reviews saying grommets are useless and make the HD fit super tight in most PC cases.

I’m looking into getting a GeForce 285 GTX; however, can anyone here recommend their particular manufacturer for being quiet and full of performance? Obviously I don’t need to grab an OC version here, since the added heat is sure to speed its fan up for an additional 1-2FPS.

I will definitely get a modular power supply, any recommendations out there for an 80mm or 120mm cooled modular power supply for performance and very low noise? So far, I’m thinking the modular Antec Signature TruPower. It’s also possible I’ll SLI two 285’s down the road for a performance upgrade, so ample power has to be there for major demands.
    Sound dampened computer case? I have been looking into using this kit:

(acousticpc.com/acousti_products_apu_acoustipack_ultimate_pc_sound_proofing_kit.html ) in order to reduce noise from escaping the inside of the case. I’ve read reviews that prove it increases CPU temp in some situations, and lowers CPU temperature for others. Has anyone had any experience with a kit similar, if not the same kit?

Lastly, to reduce noise transfer from the fans to the case, I found these (acousticpc.com/acoustiproducts_black_silicone_fan_mounts.html ). They are a way of suspending the fans without the use of screws.

What I was hoping for is ideas from the OT on what works. Please post links, or pictures, or articles relevant to quiet PC modifications. Let’s be honest, if I’m watching a movie off my PC to my home theater, the last thing my wife and I want to hear is the whirl of the fans, or the hard drive accessing data.

Thanks OT!

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  2. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

I like eVGA or XFX for nVidia cards.

As for modular PSU, I use Corsair HX-520... wasn't too expensive when I bought one nearly 2 years ago. Not sure if that is enough power for your build, since I've been out of the loop for a bit. If you want SLI, you'd probably want a more powerful one. Either way, I think Corsrair is awesome for modular PSUs though.

That's all I can answer... sorry I couldn't help more.

3. OniMinion

That is just fine. I came across the Corsair online, and found very positive reviews for it. I also saw it had a 120MM fan built into it... How quiet is your PSU fan?:ugh2:

4. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

I have my hard drives suspended in my case, and they're silent. I have to see the HD LED to know that its active.

5. OniMinion

Could you possibly give a little more information?

Brand and Model of your Case and Hard Drives. Also, what did you do exactly to suspend the HDs? Do you have any pics you can share to show it?:blue:

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

bungees, sewing elastics, nylon chords,... whatever works for you.

imo,... its a thing of the past though.
    if you can afford it,... invest in an SSD for your main drive, and maybe a WD 'green' 1TB drive for storage.
    the SSD, as the most frequent used one, will make no noise. well, probably some electrical noise if you can hear it.
    those WD green drives are also very quiet. a good case, mounted with rubber grommets, and since it's least accessed,... i don't think drive noise should really be an issue.

that AcousticPack is expensive. checkout music shops or car accessories stores that setups car audio. its pretty much the same material on what they use in sound dampening. a local music store here sells a roll for $10, more than enough for a full tower.
    if you can't find one, checkout Akasa Paxmates. I believe they are cheaper.
    and yes, these mats trap heat as well.

7. OniMinion

[FONT=&quot]Does the material sold at the music store have an adhesive backing for ease of installation? If it doesn’t, how does it attach? I looking to get a SSHD, the Intel X-25 E:cool:. This is the problem: How many Blu-Ray quality rips can it hold? 9 at most with a fresh Windows Vista / 7 install?! I need the TB HD in order to have enough space to hold the videos we’re watching. Not to mention how large game install folders are now. SSHD are great, but they are not cost effective at all! With that said, I’ll still have to install a “old technology” HD. [/FONT]

8. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

you can probably find some with adhesive backing, but most of them don't.
    you can buy those separately,... tape or glue. can't remember how much the tape was, but the glue is like $2-3 a tube. you can also look for these in hardware stores.
    glue is more secure. easy to apply. just don't put too much if you have plans to remove the mats later on. a thin line on the edges of the mat should be sufficient.

for suspending the drives,... if you can't find bungee cords,... sewing elastics is considerably cheap and is pretty strong. these you can find in sewing shops. buy the thickest one.

9. OniMinion

I can't wait to tell my wife that I need to go to JoAnn Fabrics... That'll be her wet dream.:uh:

Thanks for the input!
    Anyone with GeForce 285 firsthand experience here? Any Pics?

10. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

i have a bfg gtx280

size wise, they are the same. i think they'll fit fine on the P182, but google to make sure.

they pretty much have the same cooler design, but it depends on the manufacturer
    my bfg is not quiet, but its not loud either,.. its just fine.
    if you find the fans loud enough,... these cards runs hot, so you can't really much do anything besides upgrading the cooler to an aftermarket one.

performance, the gtx285 has a 10%-15% advantage, and consumes less power.

11. OniMinion

How about Fan attachment to the tower? Anyone used anything other than screws for improved noise levels?

12. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

13. OniMinion

Right on! I've seen those before but I don't know anyone that had ever used them. I heard the same thing about the top fan; however, since I was already planning on doing so much the dampen the system from putting out noise I figured it would be an easy fix since I"ll be swapping all the fans anyway.

14. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

15. OniMinion

I'll check it out, thankx.