Help please, my plasma tv has turned red :hs:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chx, Nov 13, 2007.

1. chx

chx Flashblock > VAV

So Im the proud new owner of a Hitachi Plasma TV (pd37-a2100) :big grin:

A friend of mine 'donated' it to me after it started having some problems...

When you turn the TV on, the display has a severe red tinge through it. What makes the problem hard to troubleshoot is that the TV is coupled to an "Audio Visual Control Unit" (via HDMI, the only connection on the TV). This AVC unit (avc-a2100) then has all the usual connections (component, SCART, composite, etc) which it feeds into the HDMI cable and into the TV.

The TV is designed to work only when connected to this AVC unit.

There is a test that the TV can do when unconnected to the AVC. This works perfectly (screen flashes different colours - no red tinge at all).

The AVC has a video component-out. When I connect a DVD player to 'AV 1 in' and then connect video out to my old TV, it again works fine with no red tinge.

So this is where im getting stuck on where the problem might be with both units functioning properly when working independently of one another. The obvious problem seems to be the HDMI cable link between TV & AVC but I remember hearing that HDMI is either an on/off signal - ie it wont distort the picture if its faulty.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I rush out and buy a new cable?

Thanks

2. chx

chx Flashblock > VAV

Ok, turns out the connection cable is not HDMI but some kind of unique Hitachi-spec cable :mad: